C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator time

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:58 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Radiator time

Have 2 Dewitt radiators, one in a 69 and one in a 59. After 12 years, the radiator in the 69 started a slow leak. Fast forward several years later to present, I've had the chance to break down the engine for some work and want to take the time to repair the radiator.

I understand there is a lifetime warranty on the DeWitt radiator. The unit shows very little corrosion and I have used distilled water consistently except for once being stranded in the desert and using the regular stuff. Has anyone had the occasion to return a Dewitt radiator for warranty service--if so, what was your experience? A guy hates to spend the time mailing something to an unknown response, or worse, having to pay for the return postage for no results.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi G,
I believe Tom DeWitt frequents this site.
I'd certainly contact him to talk to him about what's going on with your radiator!!!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-03-2017 at 01:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
gavanm01 (05-03-2017), vettebuyer6369 (05-05-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi G,
I believe Tom DeWitt frequents this site.
I'd certainly contact him to talk to him about what's going on with your radiator!!!
Regards,
Alan
Already tried, that's why I'm on here. Will try again this p.m.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I have recently learned more about distilled water and despite always being taught to use it, I would not recommend using distilled water in your car or body!

There is a reason why it is not recommended to drink distilled water, and for that same reason, you don't want to run it in your radiator. The distillation process rids the water of many impurities and minerals (good) but the process also then leaves the water ionically imbalanced. When you add distilled water to your auto coolant system, this ionically imbalanced water tries to balance itself out by removing electrons from the metals inside your cooling system, eventually causing extreme damage.

Same principal applies if you drink distilled water. The inonically imbalanced water tries to balance itself out by pulling minerals from the body (and contaminants from the container it may have been in.) Prolonged use would wreak havoc on your body, resulting in mineral deficiencies.

Best thing would be to use softened water, which instead of stripping impurities from the water as the distillation process of water does, softening exchanges impurities with sodium ions. (Softened water is not corrosive.)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
rberman999
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bigvett427,

You are talking about deionized water not distilled water. I work in the semi industry and you should never drink deionized water or use it in metallic areas as it is corrosive to metal. Distilled water is nothing more than pure water but you are right in one point, there is nothing other than water, no minerals, metals or anything else. Deionized water will remove minerals from your body due to its deionized nature which over a short amount of time can hurt you badly.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by gavanm01
I understand there is a lifetime warranty on the DeWitt radiator. The unit shows very little corrosion and I have used distilled water consistently except for once being stranded in the desert and using the regular stuff. Has anyone had the occasion to return a Dewitt radiator for warranty service--if so, what was your experience? A guy hates to spend the time mailing something to an unknown response, or worse, having to pay for the return postage for no results.
Please note to all CF members....I am now retired. I sold the company in 2015 and my old team is running the business like a well oil machine. I still do design and engineering services as a part time employee but I do not get involved in the day to day calls and business activity. So if you call here and ask for Tom, there isn't one. John is now handling all the technical questions and stuff.

As far as warranty on your radiator goes you do have to ask yourself if you want a repaired, 12 year old radiator in your car? If so, then do you want to spend the money to send it back and forth? If you answered yes to these questions, pack it up and ship it to us. We have never refused to help anyone and that's why we switched to the lifetime warranty policy. We never cut anyone off, regardless of the age of the radiator. We will look at it and make a judgement call on the cause of the leak and the extent of the damage as well as the likely hood the repair will hold up. Many times we will suggest scraping the radiator and discounting the purchase on a new one. It's kind of like the same thing when you buy tires with a 80,000 mile warranty and they are bald at 65,000. The guy isn't going to give you free tires, they are going to pro rate the new ones based on what life you did get to use them. A lifetime warranty does not mean something will last forever. It means the manufacture will replace it if it fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship.

You could possibility fix it yourself if you are handy. The key to fixing it is locating it. Pulling the radiator and pressurizing it under water will reveal everything clearly. If the leak is small like bubbles or carbonation, then you could fix that with two part epoxy. If it is a hole that is spraying, then I wouldn't try to fill it. Epoxy sticks to aluminum really good, some companies actually make their radiators with it. So if you FIND it, CLEAN, it, and PATCH it. It probably will hold a long time. I like the clear, two piston syringe, kits of clear stuff. Please note you do not have to pile it on or build it up. Less is more and a hair dryer or heat gun will help it flow and cure, just don't burn it.

Here is the basics
REPAIR
The following users liked this post:
gavanm01 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 PM
gavanm01
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Please note to all CF members....I am now retired. I sold the company in 2015 and my old team is running the business like a well oil machine. I still do design and engineering services as a part time employee but I do not get involved in the day to day calls and business activity. So if you call here and ask for Tom, there isn't one. John is now handling all the technical questions and stuff.

As far as warranty on your radiator goes you do have to ask yourself if you want a repaired, 12 year old radiator in your car? If so, then do you want to spend the money to send it back and forth? If you answered yes to these questions, pack it up and ship it to us. We have never refused to help anyone and that's why we switched to the lifetime warranty policy. We never cut anyone off, regardless of the age of the radiator. We will look at it and make a judgement call on the cause of the leak and the extent of the damage as well as the likely hood the repair will hold up. Many times we will suggest scraping the radiator and discounting the purchase on a new one. It's kind of like the same thing when you buy tires with a 80,000 mile warranty and they are bald at 65,000. The guy isn't going to give you free tires, they are going to pro rate the new ones based on what life you did get to use them. A lifetime warranty does not mean something will last forever. It means the manufacture will replace it if it fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship.

You could possibility fix it yourself if you are handy. The key to fixing it is locating it. Pulling the radiator and pressurizing it under water will reveal everything clearly. If the leak is small like bubbles or carbonation, then you could fix that with two part epoxy. If it is a hole that is spraying, then I wouldn't try to fill it. Epoxy sticks to aluminum really good, some companies actually make their radiators with it. So if you FIND it, CLEAN, it, and PATCH it. It probably will hold a long time. I like the clear, two piston syringe, kits of clear stuff. Please note you do not have to pile it on or build it up. Less is more and a hair dryer or heat gun will help it flow and cure, just don't burn it.

Here is the basics
REPAIR
I'll reply in a pm. Thanks, Van
Old 05-04-2017, 05:44 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gavanm01
I'll reply in a pm. Thanks, Van
No that doesn't work either. I don't PM

Send an email to jcdingman@dewitts.com
Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

honest question,

what good is the lifetime warranty then?
Old 05-04-2017, 06:15 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rberman999
Bigvett427,

You are talking about deionized water not distilled water. I work in the semi industry and you should never drink deionized water or use it in metallic areas as it is corrosive to metal. Distilled water is nothing more than pure water but you are right in one point, there is nothing other than water, no minerals, metals or anything else. Deionized water will remove minerals from your body due to its deionized nature which over a short amount of time can hurt you badly.
Distilled water still has ions taken out of it, making it ionically imbalanced. GM manual calls for drinkable water, (not specifically calling for distilled,) with I believe the theory is that when combined with Dexcool, the corrosion inhibitors will prevent any corrosion. Hyper Lube suggests to use softened water but I am not certain whether it could still be corrosive, so I may just buy a couple of 1g jugs of drinking water and call it a day.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 PM
tysonsbeak
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
honest question,

Old 05-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here we go with "I hate Dewitts thread, cause they are so popular". Dewitts makes fantastic, high quality radiators, in America. They cost a little more because of that, compared to the lesser quality units that are cheaper. What's the issue?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:04 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
honest question,

Some companies that have a 1-3 year warranty will just tell you they can't help you, it's passed the warranty. S.O.L. We won't do that. Occasionally (and I mean really rare) we will have a radiator fail totally due to a defect in the aluminum material we purchased. It could be a crack here or a split there and that should not ever happen, but it does. I had a customer return a radiator after seven years of use and we gave him a brand new one. Not pro-rated because this was a material defect. I guess the bottom line is DeWitts has your back.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom@Dewitt:
73racevette (05-05-2017), David Wilson (02-10-2023), Rescue Rogers (05-04-2017), Torqued Off (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Some companies that have a 1-3 year warranty will just tell you they can't help you, it's passed the warranty. S.O.L. We won't do that. Occasionally (and I mean really rare) we will have a radiator fail totally due to a defect in the aluminum material we purchased. It could be a crack here or a split there and that should not ever happen, but it does. I had a customer return a radiator after seven years of use and we gave him a brand new one. Not pro-rated because this was a material defect. I guess the bottom line is DeWitts has your back.
Works for me. I don't think lifetime warranty needs to mean the rad will never fail. I would settle for a company that answers my phone calls and works with me to solve my problem. Doesn't have to be gratis. I like your answer. I'll keep you guys in mind next time I need a rad.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 03:24 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

It dawned on my later a " lifetime warranty " isnt the same as " lifetime replacemnt" my bad,

My question came from your eariler reply making it sound like a 12 yo radiator is automatically junk and in need of replacement, which dewitts of course would be happy to do, is there any pro rating of a discount or after 12 years, a replacement is full price?

Just asking since i do own a dewitts radiator.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM
rberman999
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

BigVett427,

No ions removed in making distilled water. Simple process, heat water till it boils then collect the water vapor as it is turned from liquid to gas, re-condense and you have pure water. Like I said earlier you only have water, no minerals or contaminates. Nothing in the "boiling " process to cause ionization or deionization. If you do a search you'll find distilled water is very drinkable as it is nothing more than H2O.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

There is a separate thread set up in the Stickys for all the aluminum radiator, DeWitts etc ongoing discussion. I see we are starting new ones again lately. Please take these specific questions about returns to Tom or that company directly by PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator time

Quick Reply: Radiator time