C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[1973] emergency flasher and parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default [1973] emergency flasher and parking lights

Hello!

I finally got my 73 in Germany after a long journey from the US....

Now I have noticed I have no **** for the emergency flashers in my steering column, only a hole and can't see any cables... So before I disassemble my whole T&T column, I think about placing a seperate switch under the dash. Now my question: with which cables do I have to connect it to get them back working?
And second question: I have to replace the yellow parking lights from the grill into the headlamps. No problem becaue I have to change the headlamps too (sealed beam are not allowed here), but can I remove the cables from the turn Signal/parking light plastic or are they Kind of glued in and I have to cut them? Turn Signal shall stay in the grill, I only have to rewire the parking lights....

And sorry for my quite not perfect english, hope you can follow me....
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi S,
A 73 in Germany!!!!
Good for you!!!!
I'll begin with your first question.
Originally there was a small '****' that screwed into the side of the steering column that was 'pulled' to turn the flashers on.
Might it be that yours is missing?
Replacements are available.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-15-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Hi Alan, I'm really glad to have her here after a few months and can't wait to drive!

The **** is missing for sure, but when looking in the hole with a flashlight, there is just nothing so only a new **** won't solve the problem..
Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi S,
Well I'm sorry to hear that the switch is missing.
I've never had a column apart so I really can't advise you how to proceed, but hopefully someone else will be able to help.
Again, sorry!
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

No reason to excuse!

I read it's quite difficult to disassemble the column, so I don't want to do so.
Want to place a new switch to turn them on somewhere below the dash and have no clue what cable are correct and how to connect them... Not really familiar with this electric stuff...
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi S,
The steering column electrical connection is a long, thin connector.
The wire for the hazard switch is the BROWN wire in position 'K'.
Perhaps this info will get you started in the right direction.!?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Schlicki
I read it's quite difficult to disassemble the column,
It depends on how far you have to go. This may be as simple as replacing the turn signal switch which doesn't require removing the column from the car and is not that hard of a repair.

Go to Jim Shea's site and download his Corvette Steering papers. He has a lot of information available there on how to disassemble the column for various repairs. He also has a hazard switch wiring diagram that shows which wires are involved in the circuit.

Here's the link to his site: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=12

If you don't find what you need on his site, private message me your email address and I will send you everything I've downloaded over the years regarding the steering column. Most of what I have came from Jim's site but I may have other info as well.

Good luck,

DC
Old 05-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 311 Posts

Hello,
Great to hear that you decided on a 73!
It would be great if you could post up some pictures of it

"And second question: I have to replace the yellow parking lights from the grill into the headlamps. No problem becaue I have to change the headlamps too (sealed beam are not allowed here), but can I remove the cables from the turn Signal/parking light plastic or are they Kind of glued in and I have to cut them? Turn Signal shall stay in the grill, I only have to rewire the parking lights.."

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but to answer you second question, all you need to do is turn the parking light socket opposite the lock position until it releases. It is not glued in place. Here is a photo of the back of a 73 parking light so you can see what you'll need to do.
Also, I've included a picture of what the 73 hazard switch **** looks like!
Hope this helps!
Tooch
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tooch1; 05-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:35 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Swapping a turn signal switch is not that tough, You will need 2 "specialty" tools- a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor. Jim Shea's site shows all the tools and a good "how-to". I see you have a T&T column, so you'll need the c-clip retainer too. 99,9% chance it will break. The old plastic gets pretty brittle with age. While you're in the column is a perfect time to check the 4 bolts in the lower bowl and make sure they are tight.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Tooch1
Hello,
Great to hear that you decided on a 73!
It would be great if you could post up some pictures of it

I will show it up soon, right now too dirty after staying some time at a forum members garage and travelling the ocean for 2.5 months then. After washing, polishing and installing rally wheel caps and rings, I'm going to shoot some pics for sure!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by TimAT
Swapping a turn signal switch is not that tough, You will need 2 "specialty" tools- a steering wheel puller and a lock plate compressor. Jim Shea's site shows all the tools and a good "how-to". I see you have a T&T column, so you'll need the c-clip retainer too. 99,9% chance it will break. The old plastic gets pretty brittle with age. While you're in the column is a perfect time to check the 4 bolts in the lower bowl and make sure they are tight.

Retainer was already replaced while TheCorvetteBen fixed up some things before the shipping, the horn was one of that and of course it got broken. And as it's not that easy to get those tools here, I'm going to move the switch position and rewire it. Not sure where to go to, must think about it. Installing a new emergency **** and rewiring the whole thing won't be worth the disassembling of the column I think. When only the **** is missing, no bid deal, but seems like the whole wiring of the emergency lights (hazard flashers, how do you call them correctly?) is no longer there....
Old 05-19-2017, 08:55 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

When only the **** is missing, no big deal, but seems like the whole wiring of the emergency lights (hazard flashers, how do you call them correctly?) is no longer there....
The hazard **** threads into the turn signal switch. If your turn signals work, the wiring is there and works. If not, maybe someone removed the turn signal switch and wiring? Either way, it's not that bad of a repair. Having it work correctly is better than hacking into the wiring.

DC
Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Turn signals work, but it seems like there is nothing behind the hole in the steering column where I can put the **** in? Think the switch is missing,?

Last edited by Schlicki; 05-22-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Turn signals work, but it seems like there is nothing behind the hole in the steering column where I can put the **** in? Think the switch is missing,?
It's possible part of your turn signal switch has broken off, something is out of alignment, or someone installed the wrong switch. There is not a separate hazard switch. The hazard **** threads into a hole on the turn signal switch opposite of where the turn signal lever connects. When you press the hazard **** in, it forces the left and right turn signals to make contact at the same time.

I tried but could not find a photo showing where the hazard **** threads into the turn signal switch while it is out of the column. Maybe someone can post one so you can see what it is supposed to look like.

Here is a link to a good instruction on replacing the switch: http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...stallation.pdf

DC
Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM
Schlicki
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '15

Dumb idea, can't I try to simulate the **** with a long screw for example?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Dumb idea, can't I try to simulate the **** with a long screw for example?
You should be able to try that. On my '73 the hole for the hazard **** screw is nearly flush with the inside edge of the steering column and so is visible (and centered) in the hole in the steering column. If someone used another switch, I suppose it's possible the hole for the hazard **** screw is deeper inside.

DC

Get notified of new replies

To [1973] emergency flasher and parking lights

Quick Reply: [1973] emergency flasher and parking lights