C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question about vapor canister

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:23 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Quick question about vapor canister

Here are pictures of the bottom. I've removed the drain cover and the yellow filter material, also pictured. How do I 'go farther' into this thing, it looks as though it isn't made to come apart. Thanks. Smelling the bottom of the canister, there is a gas odor but certainly not an overwhelming one, not dampness, no gas was in the hose from the tank.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi K,
Check posts by member 'Tooch1' (JimP) for his information and photos describing the replacement of the charcoal in the canister.
The canister needs to be cut apart. (Beheaded)
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi K,
Check posts by member 'Tooch1' (JimP) for his information and photos describing the replacement of the charcoal in the canister.
The canister needs to be cut apart. (Beheaded)
Regards,
Alan
thanks Alan, will do
Old 05-18-2017, 03:09 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I dont have any pictures, but can offer some information. With my canister when I took it off there was nothing left in it. With your picture I cannot tell what the material is on the bottom of the cannister, but maybe you can try some water to remove what is in the canister.

With my canister since it was empty I filled it up with API Filter Carbon. This stuff can be picked up at Pets mart or other pet supply houses. It comes in a milk carton style container. I just poured this stuff into my existing canister without having to cut anything open. It flowed in there fine. I also picked up some canister filters from WIX #42998 filter pad. These are designed to replace your brown filter pictured. I bought two of them. I put one in the bottom drain like the brown filter was, and the other I sandwiched in the bottom of the canister to keep the carbon from coming out.
The following users liked this post:
kansas123 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:43 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sigforty
I dont have any pictures, but can offer some information. With my canister when I took it off there was nothing left in it. With your picture I cannot tell what the material is on the bottom of the cannister, but maybe you can try some water to remove what is in the canister.

With my canister since it was empty I filled it up with API Filter Carbon. This stuff can be picked up at Pets mart or other pet supply houses. It comes in a milk carton style container. I just poured this stuff into my existing canister without having to cut anything open. It flowed in there fine. I also picked up some canister filters from WIX #42998 filter pad. These are designed to replace your brown filter pictured. I bought two of them. I put one in the bottom drain like the brown filter was, and the other I sandwiched in the bottom of the canister to keep the carbon from coming out.
So, the canister is basically hollow, with the bottom being like it is? Mine is about 10 years old with only a few thousand miles on it. I can shake it and hear something inside shaking like bb's; but it is nearly full. I wanted to eliminate the canister as the cause of gas odor (of course), and so if it is nearly full, it is probably ok? I was hoping to find it soaked or something. I have read many threads about this system and will readdress them again.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi K,
The canister is filled with charcoal.
Typically there's no way to replace the charcoal unless the canister is cut open.
The Chassis Service Manual indicates that that just the 'pancake' filter is normally replaceable.
Members Tooch1 and CraigH have posted threads in which they've documented the procedures they followed in order to replace the charcoal. They both involved 'surgery'.
Regards,
Alan

Here's the link to Tooch1's info.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-canister.html

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-19-2017 at 06:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kansas123 (05-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question about vapor canister

Quick Reply: Quick question about vapor canister