C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Brandon Murray
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension upgrade

I bought a 1974 Corvette with the 350. I just was able to open her up on the highway and when it got to about 65 to 75 MPH and up it would shake making it an uncomfortable ride. After driving a mile or so it would not shake as bad but still would. Would there be an issue with my corvette or is a suspension upgrade in order? if so please let me know best suspension kits for performance and make her ride like a caddy.

thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 04:58 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

No C3 Corvette will ride like a Caddy without laying out thousands of dollars.
Since you just bought the car I would have all 4 wheels balanced and have a 4 wheel alignment making sure the shop checks for worn parts before doing the alignment
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Murray
I bought a 1974 Corvette with the 350. I just was able to open her up on the highway and when it got to about 65 to 75 MPH and up it would shake making it an uncomfortable ride. After driving a mile or so it would not shake as bad but still would. Would there be an issue with my corvette .................
This. Its probably all worn out, and/or the rubber is all shot.
If it sat a long time, the tires are flat sided.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

All depends on what type of 'Cadillac' you are referring to. A 1969 Cadillac that could not corner for crap but was a great ride in the seat of your pants...or a current Cadillac CTS which can rock your world and handle beyond expectations. So...it depends.

And I do AGREE...you can get it to ride GREAT...and I mean GREAT in all aspects...but get ready to drain your wallet on that one.

DUB
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

The fact that it shook bad then lightened leads me to wonder what tires are on it, maybe they were flat spotted?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:40 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Even if you do eventually upgrade your suspension, diagnosing and addressing what is actually causing your complaint is the best first step you can take in beginning your journey to handling nirvana, however that might be defined. Then, given that they don't often go hand in hand, I'd suggest you contemplate just how much of a priority you want to place on performance or ride quality before throwing a catalog of suspension bits at it. For instance, how much spring is practical/tolerable for your individual requirements has a big impact on what part of the envelope you will ultimately find yourself operating. My $.02

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension upgrade

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade