C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sound system

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:07 PM
harmoe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound system

Looking to upgrade the sound system in my 68 convertible I don't want to change the bezzel. need to replace the speakers as well any advice?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Look at any of the major Corvette suppliers and they will have a stereo that should suit your needs and the speakers also.

Advising you on which one to buy is like me telling you what you need to pick off of the buffet and put on your plate.

Also not knowing of you want to add more speaker so keeping it stock.

And if you currently have a factory radio that is not working...and you do not care about it......you can have it upgraded with new guts and get really good sound out of a radio that still is the facotry housing but can have the same capabilities.

DUB
Old 05-25-2017, 08:25 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

The issue with a convertible is you need to have enough power to over come the wind noise.

I used a Retrosound Hermosa and a Alpine 75x4 amp. I used two 6x9 speaker boxes in back
Amazon Amazon
and two Polk 4x6-Inch Coaxial Plate-Style Speakers.
Amazon Amazon

No real bass to speak of but it's loud and clear when listening even at 75MPH with the top down
Old 05-26-2017, 01:25 AM
jjhoneck
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We recently acquired our '72 convertible, and instantly discovered that the wimpy AM/FM radio wasn't up to the task of highway driving.

in our '52 Pontiac, which is 100% original, we use a large Bluetooth PA system made by Ion and available at Best Buy , Sams, etc. It puts out an enormous amount of sound, and only needs recharging about once a month.

it's huge, though, so for the Corvette's smaller storage area, I bought the Ion's little brother, which is compact enough to fit in the back compartment even with the top stowed, while still putting out satisfactory sound.

You can get it on Amazon, of course. It delivers good quality sound that can be heard at 75 mph. With all of my music stored in my phone, I have no use for a receiver anymore.
​​​​​​
https://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Tailgater-Express-Water-Resistant/dp/B01F73LQ34/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495775847&sr=8-2&keywords=the+tailgater+speaker

Last edited by jjhoneck; 05-26-2017 at 01:26 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:24 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default what is the budget?

i put a pioneer receiver with an AUX jack input in the bezel, Iheart or pandora for music type, polk 5 1/4" in kick panels, tweeters where stock speakers went, JL audio 8"sub in a box neatly built in behind pass seat, polk amp, awesome and about another 1k into the vette

buy another bezel if you want to keep the original

you can talk hands free on your cell, but they have a hard time hearing ya with the loud exhaust
Old 05-29-2017, 06:00 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by george2066
i put a pioneer receiver with an AUX jack input in the bezel, Iheart or pandora for music type, polk 5 1/4" in kick panels, tweeters where stock speakers went, JL audio 8"sub in a box neatly built in behind pass seat, polk amp, awesome and about another 1k into the vette

buy another bezel if you want to keep the original

you can talk hands free on your cell, but they have a hard time hearing ya with the loud exhaust
Do something like the above if you care about sound quality.

Get notified of new replies

To sound system

Quick Reply: sound system