C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merlin is finished!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 07:40 AM
Titanium Rat
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (ry)

PLEASE!!!! PLEASE post a video of the car in action!!! PPLEASE!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:33 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (Merlin522)

Krayzee!
:crazy: :yesnod: :chevy :chevy :yesnod: :crazy:
Old 10-02-2002, 05:05 PM
Lasse
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Merlin is finished!!

Very, very :cool: :yesnod:

Post us an action video. :seeya
Old 10-02-2002, 08:45 PM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (Lasse)

Looks awesome, but I don't know if you really captured that "sleeper" look you were originally going for :eek: :eek: :eek:

Very :cool:
Old 10-02-2002, 08:45 PM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (Lasse)

Awesome! Just don't be in such a hurry to see it. I hope you have a blast in that beast. Don't forget about all us little people now that you have a Viper killer ;)
Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 AM
djunod
Racer

Awesome looking car! Love it (except for the convertible aspect of it).

A few points...

* In order to actually work your rollbar needs to be higher then your head. I don't think you are going to remember to tuck your head if you roll.

* Your rear tires are too narrow for the rim.

* Why doesn't anybody say "How could you do that to a perfectly good 19xx Corvette?" :)
Old 10-03-2002, 02:18 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (djunod)

Awesome looking car! Love it (except for the convertible aspect of it).

A few points...

* In order to actually work your rollbar needs to be higher then your head. I don't think you are going to remember to tuck your head if you roll.

* Your rear tires are too narrow for the rim.

* Why doesn't anybody say "How could you do that to a perfectly good 19xx Corvette?" :)
i wana post a reply to this one...

if this thing does roll... its gonna be at such a high speed that a nascar cage like GKulls isnt gonna help you... :lol: and it would still help... rather then put your head in your stomach on a roll, it would just put it in your throat :lol:

if the tires were too narrow for the rim, they wouldn't inflate and hold air pressure. i personally think 345s are pretty damn wide but steve does want to get 375s as soon as they come out. i think that would fix what your talking about

and if you go to steve's site, and read about the 74 vette he bought out of autotrader, youll notice that it was not a perfectly good vette. it had front end damage. i bet steve gets more commets like "Damn i wish i could to that to my vette!" hell i wish i could...

on the convertable thing, im kinda "iffy" because i like the lines of the coupes more, but there wernt any convertable 80-82s which a quick glance and thats what you would think his vette is. so i like how diffrent it looks.

No hard feelings, i just had something to say. i saw your Mako on the Which is best? post. nice job. it looks great.

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 11:23 PM 10/2/2002]
Old 10-03-2002, 02:36 AM
djunod
Racer

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

Look at the pictures of rear tire (there are 2 pictures on his site that it shows up really well on) to see what I'm talking about.

The 3rd items was tongue in cheek about the typical response here on this site to customized 'vettes and in no way reflects my opinion. I am happy to see people saying what nice car it is. Personally I love customized 'vettes, prefer them over stock. Fortunately there are still people turning them out. It's real cool that people are going crazy with the C5's too.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:18 AM
'79ProwlerOrange
Safety Car

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (djunod)

I see what your talkin about and thats what i meant about the 345s Vs. 375s if he gets 375s, that small lip wont show.

i figgured thats what you meant about the "perfectly good" thing. i mean no one with a mako dislikes custom vettes :lol: unless you are the guy with an original mako. then i envy you. :yesnod: and from the other times steve has posted his progress on merlin he has gotten alot of that :bs of how he ruind a vette and just negative bs. (notice my "Wheres Gainey comment on my first reply to this thread) i think no one has posted it on this one because they see steve was right. it came out great. for some its hard to see past the fiberglass dust and rusted frames, for some its easy. :confused: and others are jealous he has the means to build his dream car.:nonod: i know im jealous! :yesnod:

oh well :cheers:

[Modified by '79ProwlerOrange, 2:32 AM 10/3/2002]
Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Merlin is finished!!

Woo-hoo!! Your car looks great, bringing it out in the sunlight must have been so much fun! (Like giving birth without all the screaming and messy stuff.) I also want to see a video. Joe
PS This has got to be the fastest growing topic in a while (other than the ugly women one LOL). :cheers:
Old 10-03-2002, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (tiresmokin75-427)

ok its been long enuff,,,1/4 times?????????????????? :D
Old 10-03-2002, 03:36 PM
69schemers
Instructor

Sweet :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 12:40 PM
KATMAN
Advanced

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! ('79ProwlerOrange)

I want to first say that the car looks great. And I don't think too many people bad mouthed what the car was gonna look like. Predicting that the car was gonna turn heads was a no brainer. What people questioned, was how the car would perform. As far as I'm concerned, the car is not "finished" until it is on the road...running. We (the non-believers) want to see if Steve was right about his performance predictions. Geez, the dude can't even fit in the car! How the heck is he going to make it perform. That picture of him in the car tripped me out (no offense Steve)!
As I said, the car looks great! Now let's get the truth on how she runs. :yesnod:
Old 10-04-2002, 12:54 PM
Blues Mobile
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (Brett K)

Wow!

Not really my style, but I gotta say that I can truly appreciate all of the hard work that went into this.

You did an outstanding job - Hat's off to you.

It's kind of like all of us on the Forum have had a kid graduate from College - We've all been following the progress for so long, and now we all feel like we've invested!

Way to go Steve -
......so what's next?

Old 10-04-2002, 01:10 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (KATMAN)

Great Job Steve!!

I gotta say you are able to get things done much faster than I seem to be able to. I think your end result really captures what you were planning....just many of us couldn't envision it up front.

You nailed the look you were after, the twin blowers will definitely turn heads as people drive up behind you and drive by....talk about double takes!!

Don't be too fast to take it out and nail it. I already had mine pretty dialed in with the old 427, so the addition of the 540 was no big deal...I knew how the car would react. You have a completely new combination that is going to need to be dialed in as far as handling, driveability and performance. Get one thing at a time.

Spend a little time driving it around with it set in low boost mode and make sure everthing functions as intended. Steering, shifting, electrical, vibrations etc etc. Once you're comfortable with that then it's time to dial in HP.

You don't want to be tring to work out clutch etc with a HP curve that is wrong or peaky. You are definitely going to be in the "overHP" league for your drivetrain, so it's going to be tough to know if it's getting it's full potential without some dyno time.

I know you didn't get a chance to do any engine dynoing, but I think your plan of chassis dyno work is a better plan anyway since you have to dial in injection etc.

Didn't the other Steve...542C2.....offer to let you play on his Dynojet at his house? That would be cool...it would give you a "less public" place to play and I'm sure it's a very secure place to have your valuable car. You don't want to have it somewhere that anything bad could happen to it. Plus I think it's really neat that we have a guy here that has the ability to own his own dynojet and is offering it to folks to use for free. I'm sure you could have your engine guy come over there and work on it and I would guess he has everything there you would need.

Please don't sell it until we get to see the real potential of what it can do. Wouldn't it be neat to put it through the same comparison that they used in that Car&Driver article on all the tuner cars? Like 70mph to 150 mph or so and stuff like that. Braking etc. Maybe you could even offer it as a owner built option to the tuner cars? That would be fun to prove you could beat them at their own game!

Those cars were offered as the "best of the best"..... here's a chance to spank 'em on the dyno and the track!

How 'bout one of the Vette vs Viper shootouts? They always have an unlimited class for the baddest of the bad.

Again congratulations......

JIM

Old 10-04-2002, 11:00 PM
Jarmo
Drifting

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (427Hotrod)

I don't think mere words like "awesome" can describe this vette

New desktop for most vette enthusiasts around the world

congrats Steve
Old 10-05-2002, 12:56 AM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Merlin is finished!! (Jarmo)

When can we expect to start seeing it on the cover of some magazines? Has there been any interest lately?

Get notified of new replies

To Merlin is finished!!

Old 10-05-2002, 05:06 PM
lilredcorvette
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

*faint*
I've heard people talking about this project for a little while but until I saw your site I really didn't understand the level of insanity. Unreal!!
VERY VERY C :cool: :cool: L!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 10-05-2002, 05:28 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I was over at HP yesterday getting my NOS bottle filled and got to go back and check out the vette. I've been following the build up so I thought I knew what to expect......NOT! This thing is outrageous and beautiful. Unless you've followed his threads, you really have no idea how much has gone into this job. The custom 240 mph speedo is way cool. I agree on the rear tires, they seem too narrow (sheesh, how can tires that are darn near a foot and a half wide be too narrow?). Dunno, but that's the way they look. I wanna drive it!!! :cry Here's waving atcha Steve, :seeya not many if any would have done this........ :cool: :cheers:
Old 10-05-2002, 07:52 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

SAAAWWEEEETTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!

...but - I wanna see some smoke !
:cool: :cheers: :yesnod: :cheers:

Quick Reply: Merlin is finished!!