C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Charcoal Cannister

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 AM
blanman61
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question about Charcoal Cannister

1978 L48 stock, all emissions have been removed, true duals and no cat. Have been trying to eliminate gas/exhaust fumes and going to reattach the charcoal canister. Question, is it necessary to reattach all the outputs on the canister since there are no emissions or can just use one line to the carb to suck out the fumes from the tank?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
The canister's function is to attract the gas fumes from the gas tank.
The fumes bond to the surface of the charcoal and remain there until the engine is run which pulls the fumes off the charcoal and they are then burned with the rest of the fuel charge.
If you don't make the connections from the canister to the engine it won't function.
You can cap the line off the fuel tank and begin using a 'vented' gas cap.
Depending on how your car is stored you'll likely have gas fumes in the garage (if it's garaged).
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 PM
69C3dreaming
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 73 wasn't connected either and had a gas smell after running. Not sure on 1978 how the canister connects so if you have a service manual or assembly manual that might show correct connections. On my car the outlet connected to a tee at the PCV valve and I believe smaller line connected to ported vacuum source. I had a copy of AIM and just followed the diagram. It made things smell much better. If you don't have a manual someone may be able to post a picture of your years routing.

Best regards

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Charcoal Cannister

Quick Reply: Question about Charcoal Cannister