C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you pick and choose ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Old 06-19-2017, 04:59 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454

Lol....
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Lol x2!

Another good point above is that of opinions... Everyone comes at this from different perspectives. "iwasmenowhesgone" wants all his power below 4000rpm, whereas I built an engine for my truck/tow vehicle that pulls hard to 6,000 (hp peak at 5300), and, for me, I feel that any sporty engine should peak above 6,000 and pull hard beyond that. I see above 6,000 every time I start the Vette. Different perspectives.

Likewise, I felt the stock steering in my Vette was too light/easy, and the stock (gymkhana option!) suspension was too soft... Plenty of others here who think just the opposite. Again, I'm coming from a background of hard riding, non power rack and pinion, British sports cars. If you're used to Cadillacs then you'll probably have a different opinion to me...

I compete in track events in my car, so my priorities are different to someone with a pure street car, or someone more interested in drag strip performance.

I also drive my car a lot. As in I've put over 8,000 miles on my car since Christmas. This puts me in a very different category to someone who averages a few hundred miles a year, and my interpretations of reliability and longevity will be very different to theirs.

So keep this in mind when reading peoples advice. There's often a reason for people giving different information, and often all (or at least most) of it is valid. It's just a question of which advice is right for you. Unfortunately there's a few people on this site who sometimes seem to have difficulty recognising this. Actually I think all of us sometimes have difficulty recognising that others may have different wants to ourselves, it's human nature.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 06-19-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Lol x2!

Another good point above is that of opinions... Everyone comes at this from different perspectives. "iwasmenowhesgone" wants all his power below 4000rpm, whereas I built an engine for my truck/tow vehicle that pulls hard to 6,000 (hp peak at 5300), and, for me, I feel that any sporty engine should peak above 6,000 and pull hard beyond that. I see above 6,000 every time I start the Vette. Different perspectives.

Likewise, I felt the stock steering in my Vette was too light/easy, and the stock (gymkhana option!) suspension was too soft... Plenty of others here who think just the opposite. Again, I'm coming from a background of hard riding, non power rack and pinion, British sports cars. If you're used to Cadillacs then you'll probably have a different opinion to me...

I compete in track events in my car, so my priorities are different to someone with a pure street car, or someone more interested in drag strip performance.

I also drive my car a lot. As in I've put over 8,000 miles on my car since Christmas. This puts me in a very different category to someone who averages a few hundred miles a year, and my interpretations of reliability and longevity will be very different to theirs.

So keep this in mind when reading peoples advice. There's often a reason for people giving different information, and often all (or at least most) of it is valid. It's just a question of which advice is right for you. Unfortunately there's a few people on this site who sometimes seem to have difficulty recognising this. Actually I think all of us sometimes have difficulty recognising that others may have different wants to ourselves, it's human nature.

Pretty well put. We also have to remember regardless of what advice we receive, the descision in the end is ours.
It's hard to give advice on specifics if the person receiving it has no frame of reference, or has already decided what they want despite receiving recommends that may be worth looking into.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What your capable of doing plays into it too.I know guys that run 12.5-1 compression on the street with pump gas,they use water methanol injection and keep spare mix with them and closely monitor everything. Someone could easily do the same but few will. They'd forget to fill the tank and blame the destruction on something else. Just about anything can be done if you want it bad enough. I saw an Allison V-12 in a 65 Chevelle years ago.
Metalhead140 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

This is a great thought provoking thread,

Makes me recall my dad rip 2014,

He was a retired navy plane tech and private world machinist, in the 50-60s was a top usa kart racer,
He had expertise in many other tech fields, guns and ammo, ac and heating, taxidermy, the list goes on,
I love and respect my dad but he had one quirk that really alienated some people, drove my step mother nuts,

If a fellow also with the knowledge to back it up explained how he did something my dad always had to reply and it always started with, "you can do it that way, its yours you can do it any way you please, but I would do it like this"

Then he would go on to belittle how they did it while presenting his way was as the only right way to do it, because of this or that,

In later years i tried to talk to him about it but it fell on deaf ears,

After a while on forums i figured it out that lots of areas are not cut and dry one way is not 100% right across the board for all,

Good example one cat wants a high rpm street screamer the next guy want a low rpm torque monster, both are "right".

Yet, some guys like my dad God bless them still think their way is the only right one, and if you do not agree, some take it as insult, but let you ruin your whatever, ignoring it or calling it luck when your way works just fine.

One has to figure out what is right for them, the more input the better.

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-19-2017 at 07:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The13Bats:
Metalhead140 (06-19-2017), Street Rat (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by upnorth
I am in the archery business and get the same thing in those forums , but been doing it for over 25 years so I know how to pick and choose there .
Here I only know enough to be dangerous and only answer a question if it about something I have already done and its worked other wise I just read.
Have a wonderful day !
Hi,
You answered your own question!
You can pick any of the members HERE that responded, they are all experts in there field.
What do you want to do?
If you want to find that last bit of power you left on the table, just ask and someone will take you step by step.

You should pick a topic and follow as someone take a member through it.

You need to read the forum daily!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Regardless of the forum there're always a people who know their stuff. After figuring out who those people are its just matter of using common sense.
'75 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

So of all the well thought out answers in this thread, how will you choose which one is correct??
Old 06-20-2017, 02:42 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Bats, I think your father and my brother have plenty in common. He is an engineer by profession and also a perfectionist. A good thing to be in that profession, just not as much when he is not in that role.

Love my brother and enjoy spending time with him, however when it comes to a project that falls even remotely within his field it's whole lot easier and less stressful to get out of the way and let him do his thing vs bringing up "dumb" ideas of your own.
His own wife and kids can't help him on projects due to his unreachable performance expectations. Very good at what he does, engineering, getting along while doing that....maybe not so much.

One other thing is that we all have access to the WWW. A vast resource of information. So it doesn't hurt to do a little homework before asking questions so as to save time by not asking the wrong questions. Oh yes, there are wrong questions.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
So of all the well thought out answers in this thread, how will you choose which one is correct??
By using this comment below.

Originally Posted by jim2527
Regardless of the forum there're always a people who know their stuff. After figuring out who those people are its just matter of using common sense.
DUB
Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

I can say that I am often thought of as like those previously mentioned that seem to want to do it their own way.

I can say that I often times do not care about my 'people' skills..... because that is what is not being discussed. Usually it is a problem that needs a reply. And if I have real world experiences that can aid that person in making decision....I will pass them along.

I can totally relate to the two men mentioned above because I KNOW I am like that..and for me...that is OK...due to the one thing that many not realize...that in our brains ( or at least mine) ...my brain has evolved into a very analytical device...and I dissect and analyze things to the max. I usually come to a decision when I have found a method that (regardless of time and money in many cases) is the best....when NUMEROUS other variables are also taken into account.

And over the years I have slowly increased my level of repairs from when I started doing this stuff. Now...teh level that repair many things are in a manner that most would not do due to they would feel it would be a waste of time...but what they may forget is that I have previous repairs that I can gauge off of that tell me that I can not do it that way due to possible failures from past repairs....just like many of you can say. You have previous repairs that may have failed that you would not do again the same way...unless you want to do it over again.

Now imagine having hundreds of cars that you can hone/improve your skills on and find methods that work. And couple that with WANTING to help those that ask for help. Some may not understand...and what is written is being received in manner that it was not intended. Which occurs quite often.

DUB
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

guys like my dad and your bother,

speaking about my dad i believe what they forget is while the way they did the job very well might be the best way they have come up with to do it that doesnt mean that some other fellow didnt tackle the same job and come up with a solution that worked just as good perhaps better for him or her, but in their mind that isnt possible as they are the only right one.

Sadly, no matter how much a person boasts about their background no one is 100% right 100% of the time, cats who think their way is the only way have a lot left to learn,

All that pointless boasting of background, followed with the little disclaimer, insinuating that anyone else's way isnt as good as their way is an unnecessary distraction and for me changes the whole feel of the advice opinion the person is going to lend,

i would watch my dad do it and the advice he was trying to give lost to some guy who now looks at him like hes a walking bag of fertilizer and cant be taken serious,
i know he didnt care but made me sad, afterall this is my dad.

I wasnt trying to start furor about people who think they are always right,
I was thinking sbout dad, fathers day and all,

So i will move on from this one.

PS,
the most savvy knowledgeable tech i ever met is a cat named jason somewhere out west,
I cant tell you his credentials or background as i have never heard him spew them, guess he doesnt have anything to prove,
I have never seen him put down another persons ideas or opinions just because they are not his,
But he doesnt coddle either, lots of guys hate him, if you build hack job with a hammer and bailing wire he will make fun of it,
But he always has a down to earth no fluff answer to problems.

Cheers,
Bats

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-20-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I can relate to that Dub, as I am that guy in my workplace (who lots of people think is a ***** because I tell them why their ideas won't work). Hell, I'm probably that guy here from time to time too. Fwiw, I always appreciate and consider your posts, even if I may be a guy that chooses an alternate path at times - that's down to perspective too. What's a highest priority for you (such as liability issues) can sometimes be downgraded to considered risks when doing something at home in my garage that's only for me.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
I can relate to that Dub, as I am that guy in my workplace (who lots of people think is a ***** because I tell them why their ideas won't work). Hell, I'm probably that guy here from time to time too. Fwiw, I always appreciate and consider your posts, even if I may be a guy that chooses an alternate path at times - that's down to perspective too. What's a highest priority for you (such as liability issues) can sometimes be downgraded to considered risks when doing something at home in my garage that's only for me.
We are good..at least from my point of view...and have no issues with someone having strong views. So many 'snowflakes' in this world nowadays...what is a person to do?

I am glad to read that you grasp and understand why my point of view is the way it is. LIABILITY is a HUGE deal when it is my backside on the line everyday.

As for getting the information that person needs to help fix their problem...I have no clue. I know how I get the answers I need.

DUB
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by mosse
I like to hear how to do it the right way
Yes, tell me about this. Because there is no one way to do something wright or is there? I we been read only member and also learn to find "right" peoples to who think same way than I do = suspension , engine or so build them same way.
1 post in 10 years?
Old 06-21-2017, 07:53 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I will always try to use the advice of the 9 out of 10 agree.
When giving advice it's half of experience and half of a crap shoot because I am not standing there in person, or the person asking is not always giving all the correct information for me to be able to help give the right answer.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
upnorth
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to find that last bit of power you left on the table, just ask and someone will take you step by step.

Don't think i am going to look for more .Any more is either going to break something or get me in trouble .
Old 06-21-2017, 05:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by upnorth

Don't think i am going to look for more .Any more is either going to break something or get me in trouble .
Wise move...because unless this Corvette is racing on a track...would you really be able to feel the increase in power....and how often would you actually be using it. Unless it is 'bragging rights' on how much HP and torque it has.... like I see some guys do when they have a 'dyno-day' at a dyno shop where the Corvettes can come by and get dyno'd. thru a local Corvette club.

DUB

Quick Reply: How do you pick and choose ?