C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

after market efi relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Any particular one or just whatever they have in the store?
just what they have. Bosch is great if you find them but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Jim
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Using a relay -near the pump- near the battery(battery compartment is great- as it keeps it from the elements) - alleviates the running a larger wire the length of the car.

To trigger the relay- you can run a the small gauge wire that use to power the old pump to the pump relay (86)- then a larger wire (fused) from the battery to the relay -then to the pump.

On mine I ran the ground back to the battery as well.

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I can get them easily and immediately and they've never been an issue for me so why would I spend any extra time or money on them? I'll put the effort into other things that matter more.
I usually just click on "buy it now" when I start to run low on my stash- in a few days it shows up on my doorstep. Easy peasy....

And if I had to worry about a few bucks I certainly wouldn't own a C3...
Old 07-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Using a relay -near the pump- near the battery(battery compartment is great- as it keeps it from the elements) - alleviates the running a larger wire the length of the car.

To trigger the relay- you can run a the small gauge wire that use to power the old pump to the pump relay (86)- then a larger wire (fused) from the battery to the relay -then to the pump.

On mine I ran the ground back to the battery as well.

I run an 82 sending unit with intank pump, relay feeds from distribution block I installed connected to stater lug. Relay stays clean under hood but have to run descent gauge wire to the tank.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:34 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Actually that's what started this, I was planning to use one but I have that system in a truck and know there is a oil pressure switch that also allows voltage to pass when pressure is up. Two sources of smaller gauge wire to supply voltage to stock low pressure pump. I have a walboro pump that draws more voltage and wasn't sure of the voltage rating for that gauge and the length to go almost the entire length of the car. While checking the specs on it I noticed it is not rated for continuous use, guess gm intended for that oil pressure switch to take over.

The relay is always powered and many people have eliminated the oil pressure switch without any issues.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by Richard454
I usually just click on "buy it now" when I start to run low on my stash- in a few days it shows up on my doorstep. Easy peasy....

And if I had to worry about a few bucks I certainly wouldn't own a C3...

Glad it works for you, but don't really care how you buy them unlike your obsession over how I source mine....
Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The relay is always powered and many people have eliminated the oil pressure switch without any issues.
If that is the case would I be able to run any relay that has the correct amperage?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

If that is the case would I be able to run any relay that has the correct amperage?
Yes, pretty much any Bosch style relay or relay pulled from a car or truck. Only relay in a car that might not be continuous rated would be for the horn. GM tends to just use the same relay types for everything.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-17-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I run an 82 sending unit with intank pump, relay feeds from distribution block I installed connected to stater lug. Relay stays clean under hood but have to run descent gauge wire to the tank.
Can keep the factory harness/relay

Don't have to run wire all the way to the back of the car

A few feet of 12GU for power and ground to the pump and 16 gauge from the tank to relay. $30-40 and you are all in.

Quick Reply: after market efi relay?