C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump and fan clutch repair services

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default water pump and fan clutch repair services

My car has been running hot last couple years when I take it out.
It just slowly rises and shows 230. I have high doubts that the temp sending unit I now have is showing the correct temperature.

Anyways I start noticing a leak on the passenger side large radiator hose where it attached to the water pump. This hose is only a few years old. Every time I would take it for a spin, it seemed to be leaking where the clamp was holding it. Today while trying to test my vacuum lines on my carb, I let it slowly warm up and there was no leak.

I revved the engine up a few times and noticed a stream of coolant shooting from what appears to be underneath the pulley on the water pump toward the hose. This explained the mystery, by the time I drove around the block it made the hose look like it was leaking.

Now for the questions:
1: I assume this means the water pump is failing and it leaking out of a weep hole? I would like to get m water pump rebuilt.

Is water pump rebuilding by a shop so uncommon now I should probably give up looking for someone local?

If a local shop may do it, what should I be looking for? Nothing is popping up locally when I do water pump rebuild service.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a non-local rebuild service? I know Paragon seems to rebuild them. Any of the other shops?

2: I also think my fan clutch has failed. As the car warmed up, the fan never sounded any different. It spins freely by hand when cold, it spins freely by hand when warm and when i stop the motor, it continues to spin for quite a bit.

I believe this is a sign the clutch is bad, am I off on that?

Does any one have a suggestion for a fan clutch repair shop? Any chance one shop may do both the fan clutch and water pump?

If both are failing, I am hoping this may be the cause of what appears to be an overheating problem. Id like to keep as many original parts on my car as possible.

thanks
jim

69 427 390hp AC car
Old 08-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi x,
You might consider Arthur Gould in Kings Park, N.Y. or ChevyCool in Scottsdale Az. for the rebuilding of your water pump.
For the fan clutch perhaps consider Dan Kirkconnell (google: kirkconnell corvettes) in California.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-12-2017 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: water pump and fan clutch repair services