C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Again!!! please help in engine priming

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:15 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Again!!! please help in engine priming

Hi guys !!!!!!.......
First off I would like to thank everyone who has helped me throughout my project and my engine priming problem...
I have recently posted a question about first time engine Priming, I have finally got the oil to come up, but now my problem is that I can only get the oil to come up only on the driver side. While spinning the drill clockwise While turning the crank shaft clockwise as well about 3 to 4 full turns and still nothing (Dry passenger side). I have been using the engine priming tool with no collar (see pic). I was thinking maybe I need to use the engine Prime with the collars from either jegs or Summit. I also have not been using a oil pressure gauge. Can someone please help thank you
Old 08-12-2017, 04:34 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

You have to use the prime tools with the collar to get any pressure to the heads. The collar routes the oil to the heads instead of it draining right back into the pan through the dizzy hole.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 08-12-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:11 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

This is what you need. It fits like the distributor directing oil to the heads. Also can be clamped using distributor hold down so nothing moves around during priming.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-pt13
Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

??

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ease-help.html
Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
yes that was my first post but now im halfway through it

Last edited by hardmansonfan; 08-12-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Ok thanks guys i will try that tomorrow with autozone first (free rental nothing to lose) if not ill buy one from summit. Hopefully ill post a video of the startup on youtube. (I have same screen name on youtube)
Old 08-12-2017, 08:47 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

i would try hand turning the motor as you prime ,,it puts the lifters and valves and push rods in different positions so the oil moves more freely also if you do not use a heavy duty drill it will take forever
Old 08-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Is the Drill Your using taking on a load ? Is it trying to twist Your Wrist as its turning the Pump ? When the Pump takes a prime with cold Oil it should just about stall out a cordless drill. If its not doing this you are either going the wrong direction and or the pump is not developing pressure.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 AM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Yes i am turning the motor by the crank shaft by hand (ratchet) all the while spinning clockwise the oil pump shaft inside the distributor hole with a plugin drill while spinning i do feel pressure (thats when oil starts to come out on drivers side) but nothin on passenger side. I have observed while spinning (crank shaft) i see all the valves (both sides) moving
Old 08-13-2017, 08:41 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by hardmansonfan
Yes i am turning the motor by the crank shaft by hand (ratchet) all the while spinning clockwise the oil pump shaft inside the distributor hole with a plugin drill while spinning i do feel pressure (thats when oil starts to come out on drivers side) but nothin on passenger side. I have observed while spinning (crank shaft) i see all the valves (both sides) moving
Then you are not using the correct tool.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:57 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Did you coat all the critical parts with breakin lube and oil during assembly? It doesn't evaporate and will still provide protection until the engine oil pump builds pressure in a few seconds after start up. You've primed the bottom end, so go start 'er up.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM
forman
Drifting

what kind of assembly lube did you use ,, some times it gets clogged up in your push rods and wont release till the motor heats up ,, if you used the paste type thats what happens some times
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Did you coat all the critical parts with breakin lube and oil during assembly? It doesn't evaporate and will still provide protection until the engine oil pump builds pressure in a few seconds after start up. You've primed the bottom end, so go start 'er up.
True. At this point, you could pull the coil wire and crank it a few times to finish the job.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM
forman
Drifting

Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Get the correct primer or buy a junk distributor from a bone yard. If you decide to crank the engine over, remove all the spark plugs and disable the ignition. I wouldn't just remove the coil wire without attaching a plug to it and to ground. Not a good idea to open circuit the secondary side of the coil.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:35 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

I just rented the prime tool from autozone (o.e.brand) the passenger side (only 2 valves) started to move oil (sweet) but during the process the dam Black & Decker plug-in drill gave up on me 🙄 So im just gonna crank it a few times without starting it to finish like you guys said. I didnt assemble the engine I had it sent out & rebuilt so I'm not sure what kind of lube was used
Old 09-21-2017, 06:52 PM
hardmansonfan
Instructor

Originally Posted by hardmansonfan
I just rented the prime tool from autozone (o.e.brand) the passenger side (only 2 valves) started to move oil (sweet) but during the process the dam Black & Decker plug-in drill gave up on me 🙄 So im just gonna crank it a few times without starting it to finish like you guys said. I didnt assemble the engine I had it sent out & rebuilt so I'm not sure what kind of lube was used

Hey guys i finally got it primed & started i was spinning the tool the wrong way (dummy) i also was spinning the crank shaft by hand while priming the engine (everything was easy) thanks everyone.... as promised i posted the startup videos on youtube (3 videos) here is the link ....
My youtube name is hardmansonfan
Video 3 is the official start
Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I use a 1/2 gear reduction air drill for engine oil priming. You better have your feet on the ground and have a good grip on the drill when you pull the trigger.

Get notified of new replies

To Again!!! please help in engine priming

Quick Reply: Again!!! please help in engine priming