C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 windshield washer pump motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 1969 windshield washer pump motor

I'm trying to piece together a working windshield washer motor and pump from the different pieces I have. The po had a long hood so he had a newer style washer motor. I have a rebuilt 69 windshield washer motor, a (I believe) 68 3 port washer pump. I dont have the water pump anti-drip valve for the 69.

My questions are:
How do the wires plug into the washer pump. Its a two wire connector blue and yellow and can plug in either way. Looking at it going left to right is it blue/yellow or yellow/blue? Or does it matter?

If I get ahold of a 69 water pump anti-drip valve can I attach it to the 68 washer pump? I looked on the upper right where I believe it connects and dont see any mounts or holes for it to screw on. If not can I run a tee off the three ports to go to headlights?

Thanks everyone
Pat
Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not think that it matters on how the connector goes on. Your connect is made to be installed one way due to he the slots that they cut out of the brown plastic . Those slots usually provide an area to allow the terminal to go on because it has a raised tab made into it so it makes the installation of the plastic connector idiot proof. Your terminals look like they are bent and do not look like they have the raised tabs on them.

I believe the yellow and dark blue wire are actually supposed to have the bullet terminal made onto them and they are not in a connector...they are separate.

If you are trying to plumb in the washers for your headlights. You need to only splice into two of the hoses and not all three.

DUB
Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Pm,
I believe that typically the blue wire came in from the right side and the yellow from the left side.
Regards,
Alan

Old 08-27-2017, 07:58 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks DUB and Alan. The wiring harness is a new replacement from Lectric lmtd but that brown terminal connection matches the same as illustrated in doc rebuilds chart. The two terminals on the washer pump......I dont know if they are bent down or are supposed to be straight up? The black rectangular flap underneath/ behind the two tabs moves like a door so I'm not sure how its supposed to be. Looking at Alan's 68 it looks like he has the two wires coming in from the side as bullet connectors into some sort of rectangular box. Alan are you able to remove that connection and let me know if the terminals are supposed to come straight up and if there is a door flap with them?

I guess I wont be able to run the anti drip solenoid with this set up. I'll have to keep a lookout for a 69 washer motor.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:44 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The picture below is of an original 1969 wiper motor, pump and headlamp washer extension jumper wires... The 1969 washer pump should have the bullet connectors. This design was used until 1975 when the pump changed. The 68-69 washer pump was the same (both using the bullet connectors) and both having a three port white washer pump as shown in the lower picture.

The wires can be plugged into the pump in either fashion but the correct manner is illustrated in Alan's picture with the blue wire towards the passenger side. The wires control an electromagnet, so all it requires is power and ground from either side of the circuit.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 08-27-2017 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cks (06-05-2019)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Mine is missing those jumper wires. I've searched, but have not found anyone selling them. Does anyone know if they are available?
Old 08-28-2017, 08:00 AM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

So if the blue/yellow wires come into the washer pump from the ignition/engine harness, where/how does the two bullet connectors from the anti-drip solenoid connect to? Also would I be able to connect the anti-drip solenoid to 68 washer pump?

Maj75, are these the jumpers wires your talking about?
https://www.lectriclimited.com/winds...d-wires-103064
Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 AM
steffan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmccooey
So if the blue/yellow wires come into the washer pump from the ignition/engine harness, where/how does the two bullet connectors from the anti-drip solenoid connect to? Also would I be able to connect the anti-drip solenoid to 68 washer pump?

Maj75, are these the jumpers wires your talking about?
https://www.lectriclimited.com/winds...d-wires-103064
those look correct. the plug from the engine harness goes into the anti drip solenoid(headlight washer) the jumper wires go on first. the barrel connectors go to the washer pump
Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by maj75
Mine is missing those jumper wires. I've searched, but have not found anyone selling them. Does anyone know if they are available?
You can buy the jumper wires for using them with the stock motor and headlamp washer pump, or you can buy it to by-pass the headlamp washer pump and allow you to hook straight into the washer pump.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/catalogs...ar=19&q=jumper

This is the stock harness. .

This is the by-pass jumper.

Willcox
Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Maybe someone with a 70-72 can help with this but since I'm not building numbers correct 69 wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just use a 5 port washer pump from a 70-72? Do those extra two ports run to the headlights and negate the whole anti drip solenoid from the 69 or is there some extra solenoid down by the headlights on the 70-72. TRying to find a washer hose diagram for a 70.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:00 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Maybe someone with a 70-72 can help with this but since I'm not building numbers correct 69 wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just use a 5 port washer pump from a 70-72? Do those extra two ports run to the headlights and negate the whole anti drip solenoid from the 69 or is there some extra solenoid down by the headlights on the 70-72. TRying to find a washer hose diagram for a 70.
The 1970 cars used a 5 port pump.. one input, two for the wiper arms and two for the headlamp washers.. And used the bullet terminals for connection.

Will the connector you have in your first post plug into the washer pump? If it won't you could un-pin the terminals and just plug them up to your pump. The pump you have is an aftermarket pump but the terminals if unpinned will plug onto the terminals on the pump.

If you are wanting to run the headlamp washers and don't want to put the pump and solenoid on your motor you could just place a T in the output hose to the wiper arms, the pumps have enough push to pump water to both the headlamp washer and the headlamp squirt nozzle.

Willcox
Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The connector in my wiring harness does plug into the washer. If i run the headlight washers off a tee will they drain out the reservoir? I thought that was the whole concept behind the anti-drip solenoid? Or was it just to act as seperate spray for windshield and headlights? Thanks again for all the help. This has been great learning more and more about these cars.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This post is gold for me. I have been doing lots of work to my car, but one of the two things that has bothered me the most is that I never could figure out where the blue and yellow engine harness plug went to. I also could not figure out why my washer pump wasn't pumping (go figure). I couldn't see the bottom of the anti drip solenoid to see the connector that it was supposed to go to. I still have a few things to do before I power up the car again, but I bet the pump works now.

This forum has always been great. Thanks to Alan 71 as always for the treasure trove of pics and thanks to Willcox as well. I will be buying my new wiper motor parts from you!
Willcox Corvette (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

The connector in my wiring harness does plug into the washer. If i run the headlight washers off a tee will they drain out the reservoir? I thought that was the whole concept behind the anti-drip solenoid? Or was it just to act as seperate spray for windshield and headlights? Thanks again for all the help. This has been great learning more and more about these cars.
The solution is to just bypass the hoses to the headlamp solenoid... run your input to the wash pump... then T off the output wiper wash hoses to the headlamp hoses... If the connector plugs in then problem solved...
Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 PM
Pmccooey
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That'll be great and save me $200 from buying a drip solenoid or a new washer motor!!
Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM
liquordriver
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have a different issue. My '69 had no washer pump on the wiper motor, nothing. One of the past owners jury rigged a washer pump to the firewall and routed the hoses to it. I installed a new washer pump and removed the jury rigged items. I thought the washer pump was driven by the wiper motor and the washer would work. But after reading this blog, I see I am mistaken. So the wiper motor has connectors for the bullet connectors as willcox has shown. I do not have headlight washers and the connectors willcox has shown are for a by pass from the headlamp washer motor. Are there different connectors? Or do I just snip off the ends and connect to the harness?
Old 04-16-2019, 05:34 PM
theweeb
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by liquordriver
So I have a different issue. My '69 had no washer pump on the wiper motor, nothing. One of the past owners jury rigged a washer pump to the firewall and routed the hoses to it. I installed a new washer pump and removed the jury rigged items. I thought the washer pump was driven by the wiper motor and the washer would work. But after reading this blog, I see I am mistaken. So the wiper motor has connectors for the bullet connectors as willcox has shown. I do not have headlight washers and the connectors willcox has shown are for a by pass from the headlamp washer motor. Are there different connectors? Or do I just snip off the ends and connect to the harness?
Sorry to revive this old thread, but did you resolve your issue? Mine is missing as well. The hoses are there, the tank is there, but the pump, which looks to be driven off of the wiper motor, is gone. A nest of bubba wires for what looks like the bubba electronic ignition are in its place. Got to sort through this, looking for any advice. 1968.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:41 PM
liquordriver
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I resolved my issue. I removed the jury rigged pump and routed the houses to it and used bullet connectors for the wires and it works fine. I did some research on youtube and this has helped with a few issues such as the wiper plenium door not opening and the wiper situation. I found a man called corvette ben there who has really interesting videos on cars he rebuilds that you might enjoy.
theweeb (04-17-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:40 PM
cks
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I just installed a new washer pump on my 69. Has the headlight function also. When I tested it, the pump starts pumping even without pressing the switch on the dash and continues without stopping. It almost sounds like it clicks itself on, does the full wheel rotation and seems to click back on. The whole time the wipers are moving I can see through the white housing the piston keeps pumping. Can this still be an electrical or mechanical issue? when I installed the pump to the wiper shaft, I inserted the shaft into the slot on the back of the w/p. Is that the correct way?

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 windshield washer pump motor

Quick Reply: 1969 windshield washer pump motor