C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door closings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM
CAMS69
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Door closings...

Hello everyone and thanks for all the help during my 5 year restoration! I gave a concern and hope someone can help me understand my door jambs? Here's my question... the car is stripped and I'm prepping for paint. No trim no rubber no door locks or stops . The passenger door will push all the way in until it stops with approx 3/8 inch past the front rear fender. See pic. The drivers will only go about half way 3/16 or so before it hits. I've identified where it hits and have taken material off the inside curve of hhs door as well as the door sill area. I cannot getvif any closer. My concern is that when the door seal rubber is on one of two things will happen. Either the door won't shut completely or it will hit the sill area and damage my new paint. Can someone out there tell me how far your door will push in with all hardware and rubber off? Thanks !!!!
Pass side. Pushes in lots.

Drivers side not so much

Last edited by CAMS69; 09-04-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My first advice would be to install everything... door locks, strikers and weatherstrips..

You can temporarily screw the weatherstrips to the front and rear of the door and then tape them in place along the bottom, once completed, then make the needed adjustments to obtain alignment.

IMHO,

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
73racevette (09-05-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 PM
CAMS69
Pro

Wilcox thanks for the reply. The doors and gaps are perfectly aligned. If it comes to temporarily putting weatherstrip and locks on I'll do that. I'm just hoping someone out there has their car stripped like mine. It's very curious to me that one door will push farther into the sill than the other. I don't recall this condition when I took the car apart. Ultimately I'm concerned the bottom inside of the door will hit the painted sill.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM
CAMS69
Pro

Anyone out there with the car stripped can you push the door in till it hits the sill and tell me your findings.

Get notified of new replies

To Door closings...

Quick Reply: Door closings...