C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Dash Pad

Old 09-17-2017, 11:06 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Question on Dash Pad

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
Is there any trick to removing the right (passenger) lower dash pad (on a 75 coupe) once the screws are removed?

I removed the three screws from the top, the two in the door jam (actually one was missing), and the two from the center bezel to the dash pad. However, it doesn't want to come off. I don't want to force it and break the plastic.

I didn't remove the wiper controls from the dash nor did I remove the center gauge cluster.

Also, when I remove the panel, does the duct work come off with the panel or does it stay with the dash structure?

I've search the forum and my assembly manual. The assembly manual shows little clips at the top, but its not real clear.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:31 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Take out the forward console trim(one screw) and the passenger side kick panel to help free it.
Pull gently on the door side of the dash to wiggle it out ftom the duct connection to the vent ball. Watch for turn signal flasher unit and wires connected to it, along with courtesy light bulb and socket.

Originally Posted by DaveN355
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes:
Is there any trick to removing the right (passenger) lower dash pad (on a 75 coupe) once the screws are removed?

I removed the three screws from the top, the two in the door jam (actually one was missing), and the two from the center bezel to the dash pad. However, it doesn't want to come off. I don't want to force it and break the plastic.

I didn't remove the wiper controls from the dash nor did I remove the center gauge cluster.

Also, when I remove the panel, does the duct work come off with the panel or does it stay with the dash structure?

I've search the forum and my assembly manual. The assembly manual shows little clips at the top, but its not real clear.

Last edited by corvgreg; 09-17-2017 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DaveN355 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 AM
DaveN355
Racer

Originally Posted by corvgreg
Take out the forward console trim(one screw) and the passenger side kick panel to help free it.
Pull gently on the door side of the dash to wiggle it out ftom the duct connection to the vent ball. Watch for turn signal flasher unit and wires connected to it, along with courtesy light bulb and socket.
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DN,
cg did a NICE job describing what might be holding the dash pad in place.
The duct/elbow is a 'slip fit' on the housing for the dash vent ball so it may take some tugging to get the pad free.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

You MIGHT end up removing the small wing nut that secures the duct to the opening in the cowl and remove the dash pad with the duct still in place.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:36 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi DN,
cg did a NICE job describing what might be holding the dash pad in place.
The duct/elbow is a 'slip fit' on the housing for the dash vent ball so it may take some tugging to get the pad free.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

You MIGHT end up removing the small wing nut that secures the duct to the opening in the cowl and remove the dash pad with the duct still in place.

Thanks Alan. I don't remember my 75 looking like that underneath. I'll post a picture tonight. I have factory AC on the car, if that makes a difference.
On mine, there appears to be an elbow duct connected to the vent with the footwell light squished up between it and the dash pad.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dave,
You're right.
Since your car has a/c the ducting behind the right side dash pad will be different.

Do you happen to have the Assembly Instruction Manual for your 75?
The air conditioning section has some drawings and information showing the ducts behind the dash panel and how they're held in place.

Regards,
Alan
Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Dave,
You're right.
Since your car has a/c the ducting behind the right side dash pad will be different.

Do you happen to have the Assembly Instruction Manual for your 75?
The air conditioning section has some drawings and information showing the ducts behind the dash panel and how they're held in place.

Regards,
Alan
Yes, I have an assembly manual. I'll dig into that. I'm actually trying to change the footwell light, which the base is loose and the bulb is jammed in tight. Here's what mine looks like underneath.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Did you remove the kick panel?

Odd.. you should only have the three screws at the top, the door jamb and the dash bezel center screws holding the pad in place... Then remove the kick panel, and the radio side panel... Usually once you have all of those out the pad will just pull right now. I'm with the above post, something else may be holding it either in the vent ball housing or some other alteration.

Willcox
Old 09-19-2017, 08:12 PM
DaveN355
Racer

No, I didn't remove the outboard kick panel, but I did remove the panel on the center console. I'll give that a try this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Dash Pad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on Dash Pad