C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Housings

Old 09-23-2017, 04:01 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
settle down son , you might know these things backwards but Pikeslayer may not

I was shocked over lionelhutz's warning to not take it apart because the brushes would pop out. Heck, it takes twice as long to take the four 8-24" housing screws out. I just replaced my voltage regulator two days ago and I used the opportunity to put a dab of fresh grease into the rear bearing.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:20 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
Heck it only takes me 15 seconds to stuff the two brushes back into the brush holder then stick a toothpick thru it to retain the brushes. Big whoopee.
So what? I can rotate it without pulling the armature out faster than you can separate the alternator, re-seat the brushes and then put it back together. It simply absolutely makes no sense to do things you don't have to.

I was shocked over lionelhutz's warning to not take it apart because the brushes would pop out.

Apparently you must shock easily but not read so well. I never posted a warning about the brushes popping out. All I posted was the quickest way to rotate the front housing, which just happens to be done by keeping the armature and rear housings together so you don't have to do anything with the brushes.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 09-23-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

OR, Let the experts at O' Rileys do it for you.

(Let's see who remembers THAT famous thread).
Old 09-25-2017, 10:34 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
So what? I can rotate it without pulling the armature out faster than you can separate the alternator, re-seat the brushes and then put it back together. It simply absolutely makes no sense to do things you don't have to.

Apparently you must shock easily but not read so well. I never posted a warning about the brushes popping out. All I posted was the quickest way to rotate the front housing, which just happens to be done by keeping the armature and rear housings together so you don't have to do anything with the brushes.

Yeah, but taking it apart gives a novice the opportunity to see what's inside.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Pikeslayer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to try and do you guys one better by clocking it still partially mounted to car. But I discovered on this particular housing there is a lug that protrudes back from the front housing preventing the rotation of the rear housing. Had to take it off the car and had to separate the housings. Well it clocked with the plug a 3, which I think is wrong for a big block, but it works.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

I bought a replacement 15-SI rear housing two years ago and the ground bolt boss was positioned 90 degrees off from my original housing. So the Chinese reproductions aren't always made the same as the OEM housings.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Pikeslayer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a replacement 15-SI rear housing two years ago and the ground bolt boss was positioned 90 degrees off from my original housing. So the Chinese reproductions aren't always made the same as the OEM housings.
This is the very issue that I started this thread to solve.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:29 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Originally Posted by Pikeslayer
This is the very issue that I started this thread to solve.

Just ground the wire(s) to the valve cover bolt and call it a day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Housings