C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster bench testing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 PM
Vince J
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster bench testing

I have a 79 Vette and have both gauge clusters out and installed new printed circuit boards on both clusters. I have both printed circuit board plugs I was able to get from a donner Vette. How do you use these plugs to bench test the functions of the gauges before I install them back into the car?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I work on these cars and I would not make a bench test tool to do this. I have tested them before and it backfired on me.

Simply plug them into your car and verify that things work..I do it quite often and you will be getting 'real world' results from the actual car that they are going into.

If you think I am off base on this...you are mistaken because I have tested these clusters before and when I tested some circuits and it all worked perfectly on the bench...when I installed it and me thinking that all was good...it was not due to the plug on the actual car was damaged and I had to take it all back apart.

But do whatever makes you happy.

DUB
Old 09-22-2017, 08:56 PM
Vince J
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I work on these cars and I would not make a bench test tool to do this. I have tested them before and it backfired on me.

Simply plug them into your car and verify that things work..I do it quite often and you will be getting 'real world' results from the actual car that they are going into.

If you think I am off base on this...you are mistaken because I have tested these clusters before and when I tested some circuits and it all worked perfectly on the bench...when I installed it and me thinking that all was good...it was not due to the plug on the actual car was damaged and I had to take it all back apart.

But do whatever makes you happy.

DUB
Thank you for your reply. I agree not knowing what wires go to what, it could be easy to short out or burn the circuit board. I watched a video put out by Willcox Corvette that shows you how to properly bench test the gauges'. I have the plugs, with the wires and tested it on the bench today and everything worked as Willcox showed.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince J
Thank you for your reply. I agree not knowing what wires go to what, it could be easy to short out or burn the circuit board. I watched a video put out by Willcox Corvette that shows you how to properly bench test the gauges'. I have the plugs, with the wires and tested it on the bench today and everything worked as Willcox showed.
It is GREAT that Willcox has the method of testing to help Corvette owners repair their Corvettes,

When I encounter burnt printed circuit boards..I generally find that specific circuit and check the cars main wiring harness for any problems of that specific cirucit getting 12 volts if it is supposed to be a ground circuit and vice-verse and so on.

Glad that you are ready to 'plug and play' and get the gauge cluster in your car.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Gauge Cluster bench testing

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster bench testing