C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Windows Flexing Inner Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 AM
FrankRiley
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Windows Flexing Inner Door

I am working on my 71 electric windows and noticed that the window when it goes up and down causes the inner metal door to flex a lot. It looks like a thin metal like aluminum flexing around. Is this normal or is something wrong. The window goes up and down well. I do not have the 2 small cover panels on the inner door as they were long ago removed. Would those two cover panels help stop the flex. If you know how a 71 electric window and door looks in operation please advice me. Thanks Frank Riley goldglassshark@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankRiley
I am working on my 71 electric windows and noticed that the window when it goes up and down causes the inner metal door to flex a lot. It looks like a thin metal like aluminum flexing around. Is this normal or is something wrong. The window goes up and down well. I do not have the 2 small cover panels on the inner door as they were long ago removed. Would those two cover panels help stop the flex. If you know how a 71 electric window and door looks in operation please advice me. Thanks Frank Riley goldglassshark@gmail.com

The flexing you see is normal as the gear reduction motor exerts a lot of torque when the window reaches its stops. Nothing to worry about.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

One of my windows did something similar when I got the car. Two problems. One was the old grease in the regulator channels was like glue. The solution is to clean out the old lube and re-grease. The other problem was the motor was not anchored properly. There is a bracket on the back of the motor which anchors the motor to the door and distributes the load. Mine was missing on one side. Something tells me these earlier cars didn't have this bracket, but you will have to check with someone more knowledgeable about the earlier cars.

Replacing or adding the bracket is an easy fix, but regreasing the regulator is a bigger deal. You have to pretty much disassemble the door to do it properly and that's one of those PITA jobs we hate to do. If you do this, consider replacing the regulator spring while you have it apart. They break eventually and if yours is old you know what's going to happen. Its going to break a week after you get the door back together.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 07:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

As '71VetteLover' stated...the flexing is normal...and may be more noticeable when the window is down all the way.

The window regulator for your Corvette is attached to the door at three attachment points.

In the link provided below...Look at the third photo in the first post and they are circled in red.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tuck-down.html

DUB
Old 09-24-2017, 10:49 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
As '71VetteLover' stated...the flexing is normal...and may be more noticeable when the window is down all the way.

The window regulator for your Corvette is attached to the door at three attachment points.

In the link provided below...Look at the third photo in the first post and they are circled in red.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tuck-down.html

DUB
In the same photo you can see the bracket at the back end of the window motor. There is a bolt that goes through the metal cover over the motor and anchors the motor to the door. On my car that bracket was missing and caused the door to flex more than normal with window operation.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
In the same photo you can see the bracket at the back end of the window motor. There is a bolt that goes through the metal cover over the motor and anchors the motor to the door. On my car that bracket was missing and caused the door to flex more than normal with window operation.
YES...that bracket that is attached to the end of the window motor is used on later C3 Corvette year models and the metal access plate will have a hole for it.

A 1971 will not have this bracket on the motor

If my memory serves me correctly this added bracket began in 1978....which is when the armrest was added to the door panel...and the 'lock-unlock' **** was put into the armrest of the door panel

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Windows Flexing Inner Door

Quick Reply: Electric Windows Flexing Inner Door