C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Headers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:38 AM
1975Coupe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacement Headers

Hello fellow Forum Members,

I need your C3 expertise. I have a 1975 L48 with the stock cast iron ram's horn exhaust headers. I'd like to replace them with nicer block huggers which also flow a bit better. I already have a custom dual exhaust that I don't want to change. So I'm looking for something like this: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...791+4294828856

That I can just bolt in.

The question I have is it looks like there are multiple sizes to the ram's horn and how do I know which one I have without taking it out of the car?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

why do you care about what size the rams horns are, the headers you linked to fit 1975 Corvettes based upon the fitment tab of the link? I'd be more concerned that the headers have a 2 1/2' collector and you probably have a 2" pipe or perhaps that was your original concern.

Last edited by MelWff; 09-28-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:04 PM
1975Coupe
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I care since I just want to swap out the rams horn for block huggers without making other changes to the exhaust system. I just want to bolt them in. I've seen that the rams horn are several different sizes and just wondered if there is a standard, so I knew which ones to order to replace them with.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 1975Coupe
I care since I just want to swap out the rams horn for block huggers without making other changes to the exhaust system. I just want to bolt them in. I've seen that the rams horn are several different sizes and just wondered if there is a standard, so I knew which ones to order to replace them with.

I can't comment on the Jegs headers you posted as I have not used them, but I will say they look like they will work with your stock exhaust. Seems they are designed for a 55-57 Chevy. Have you called Jegs tech support to ask? You might just have to order them and try? There have been probably 4 or 5 threads on shorty style headers that bolt to stock exhaust in the last few months so there are many people that would want to know.

I freshened up my ZQ3 a couple years back and wanting to drop the weight of the cast iron factory manifolds and also knowing I didn't need better headers with the stock ZQ3/L48 cam and 128 heads I was using, I just used some inexpensive factory C4 manifolds. Bolt right up to the exhaust. As posted in other threads (with pics) I ran into issues on the drivers side fouling the Z bar so I had to get a 81-82 style manifold for the drivers side.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 09-29-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

if they flow about the same why do you want to change them and risk having to spend even more on exhaust work?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I do not recommend shorty block hugger headers unless you have no exhaust to begin with.....not worth the expense....
The real gains come from long tubes and the collector on the long tube headers as well as tube length.

Buy a set of long tubes......the are easy to install....they go in from underneath.......take to an exhaust shop and have them tie them in to your exhaust.......overall....you will be happier.

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (09-29-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Default ram horns

Originally Posted by 1975Coupe
Ram horns may have different size exhaust flanges to connect to different size pipes. If you measure your pipe, probably 2" you will know whether they will fit whatever header your chose. As others have said do not expect any noticeable performance change.

Last edited by MelWff; 09-29-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Headers

Quick Reply: Replacement Headers