C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another oil question

Thanks in advance: Just put new oil and filter in my ‘75 L48. Strangely, only 4 quarts came out of pan and filter combined. I had the front on jackstands so possibly there was a little left in the sump? I had been topping off as it has 84K on motor and does smoke a little on start up from bad valve stem seals but dipstick always read full. Maybe bad dipstick?

Refilled with Pennzoil dino high mileage as all the other high mileage oils at the local store were synthetic. Put in 4 quarts along with an STP viscosity modifier with ZDDP additive.

A couple of observations and questions: The STP additive was as thick as honey, has anyone used it before?

Dipstick now reads a little more than full although I only put in 4.5 quarts between new oil and additive.

Oil pressure is spot on at just around 40psi revving it a little and around 30psi at soft idle after running for 5 minutes both a little higher than before the change.

Do sump and filter require 5 full quarts?

Total cost was $31 for 5 quarts plus $7 for additive. I have used Brad Penn in the past but it’s around $7 a quart. Wondering if I should have just stayedd the course as the cost is basically the same.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:33 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Valvoline VR-1 dino. Order it at O'Reilly or AutoZone (can't remember which). No additional additives required.
Who cares about the price. It's only 5 or 6 quarts.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:21 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you asked, so here is what i think...buy valvoline vr1 in what ever viscosity suits your mood....stay away from additives. you can not conjure up a better mix then the oil engineers

for the quantity of oil the newer oil filters are smaller then the old ones when the cars were made so they take less oil. 4.5 quarts doesnt sound too far off
Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

My advice. Buy any brand of oil that is sae/api approved that contains a proper amount of zddp for your engine. Synthetic or dino work fine so your choice. Your engine will not blow up because of the type of oil you use as long as its the correct oil for your conditions. Don't overthink brands of oil. Think of the oil formula and if it has the required additives. I have three vehicles and five different brands of oil, synthetic and dino, sitting on my shelf waiting to be used. Again, don't overthink oil.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:49 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
My advice. Buy any brand of oil that is sae/api approved that contains a proper amount of zddp for your engine. Synthetic or dino work fine so your choice. Your engine will not blow up because of the type of oil you use as long as its the correct oil for your conditions. Don't overthink brands of oil. Think of the oil formula and if it has the required additives. I have three vehicles and five different brands of oil, synthetic and dino, sitting on my shelf waiting to be used. Again, don't overthink oil.
Well put. You didn't try to sell your favorite brand to someone claiming brand X is the best and everyone should buy it. You told it like it is. Well done.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I appreciate all the responses to a topic that has been beaten to death. I didn’t pose my original post as well as I could have. I should ha e just asked if anyone had used the additive I used and what experience they may have had along with the issue related to capacity. Been changing oil for 40 years in cars, trucks and tractors but have only been aware of the zinc issue over the last 5. Numbers matching motor that I’m trying to keep as healthy as possible until forced into the expense of a rebuild. Glad to hear about the VR1 dino, looks like my local walmart carries it for far less than the Brad Penn! Now I just have to track down the Wix filters I am partial to...
Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Well put. You didn't try to sell your favorite brand to someone claiming brand X is the best and everyone should buy it. You told it like it is. Well done.
Yes, I didn't mention a brand X because it's pointless. THERE IS NO BEST OIL!

Get notified of new replies

To Another oil question

Quick Reply: Another oil question