C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring short issue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Ilbtn18
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring short issue???

I went to start my 72 a few weeks ago and little puff of smoke came from under the steering column. Car started and ran ok but when I went to use turn signals, they wouldn't flash. Then my radio wouldn't power off when turned ignition off. I knew there was a short in wiring so dismantled dash. I took the steering column and instrument cluster out and these pics are what I found. I am mechanically skilled to a degree but am limited in reading wiring schematics. I can repair wires but they would only short again until I find the issue. In a perfect world I'd like to have someone with the knowledge come to my garage and look things over, but I'm not finding that person.

If there is anyone out there in corvette land that would be willing and able for some advice, I'd be grateful! If so, please text/call Bob 217 553-8569. I can offer additional information which could be part of the issue but would be easier to offer that in a conversation rather than trying to explain in typing.

With regard to pics:
My question is where does the brown/white (Prob 24 gauge that would be one of three wires in the ignition connection to top of steering column) go?
You can see that it is completely burnt into. My thoughts are this may be the starting point but realize that isn't necessarily the case.

Love this forum and all the information!!!
Thanx in advance
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

IMHO the dash harness will have to be replaced. Wires that burned obviously from a short . With the heat even ones that look ok are resistive now. Which fuse or fuses blew?
Replacing dash harness you would need a wiring diagram and ability to read it as yours could differ from new one. They are 529 at CC. Then when replaced ability to use an ohmmeter and ensure the short that caused this is taken care of. Hope it was two of the wires to the steering column that shorted and problem will be gone when replaced.
Do not know you ability but a job that can be tackled with some electrical knowledge and ability to diagnose short circuits?
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can find the brown/white on the second page of the schematic ( next to ignition switch connector).
It looks like the B/W is powered by the orange.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...GE5N2EzZGI2Mjc

At the harmonica connection it looks like the dark green (powers the right rear brake light) and the
yellow (powers the left rear brake light) have melted together.

Hope someone with real electrical knowledge can help you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
harmonica connections (1).pdf (597.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Ilbtn18
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your responses! Peterbuilt- Thanks for the schematic. Dub has graciously offered to give me some assistance so hoping to track down the problem. May take a couple weeks, but will report back with results. Thanx again.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring short issue???

Quick Reply: Wiring short issue???