C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED flasher questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 02:17 PM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts
Default LED flasher questions

Hey everyone. I'm working on installing some LED tail lights in my 79. I know from doing some reading that my turn signals won't work because the LEDs have a lower power draw (too low to trigger the stock flasher).

I found an electronic flasher I can use at a local auto parts store, however I haven't changed my front or side marker turn signals to LED yet. Will the electronic flasher work with only the taillights being led and the front being incandescent? Or do I need to convert ALL the turn signals to incandescent first?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by mobird
Hey everyone. I'm working on installing some LED tail lights in my 79. I know from doing some reading that my turn signals won't work because the LEDs have a lower power draw (too low to trigger the stock flasher).

I found an electronic flasher I can use at a local auto parts store, however I haven't changed my front or side marker turn signals to LED yet. Will the electronic flasher work with only the taillights being led and the front being incandescent? Or do I need to convert ALL the turn signals to incandescent first?
It should, as long as the electronic flasher and handle the draw of the 12 volt lamps. I don't know the rating on the flasher you purchased, but the flasher only controls the voltage interruption to the lamps. It's still 12 volts going to all the lamps.

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
mobird (11-22-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

I just left this comment in another thread.

I used this flasher:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...11107/10002/-1

Be sure to get the reversing base. I needed it in my wife's '79. I tried ordering it from a Corvette vendor, and it did NOT come with the base.

It works with all LEDs, or a mix of LED and incandescent, or all incandescent. You can't lose! You do need to supply a ground to make it work, though.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bikespace:
Cool bean (03-11-2020), mobird (11-22-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To LED flasher questions

Quick Reply: LED flasher questions