C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission leak help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:57 AM
mushrush8
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak help please

Found a transmission leak on my 1972 vette with v8 vin k so I replaced the pan seal thinking it was that but it looks as if it’s actually leaking around where the shifter bolt goes into the transmission. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find the seal for it. Anyone know of where I can get this seal or a seal kit for this transmission. And how to actually replace this seal
thanks so much
Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mushrush8
Found a transmission leak on my 1972 vette with v8 vin k so I replaced the pan seal thinking it was that but it looks as if it’s actually leaking around where the shifter bolt goes into the transmission. I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find the seal for it. Anyone know of where I can get this seal or a seal kit for this transmission. And how to actually replace this seal
thanks so much
I am assuming you have an automatic; either TH400 or TH350.

TH350/TH400/700R4 selector shaft seal: https://www.ebay.com/i/271991372933?chn=ps
If you find a replacement seal does not solve the issue, it may be the 'selector shaft'. On my 700R4, the selector shaft wore to a point where the seal no longer was sufficient; I had to replace the selector shaft. You can remove/replace with the shaft in the car but it is a bit tedious.

Here is Summit P/N for the 700R4 selector shaft for $21.95: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...xoCMcYQAvD_BwE

Using "TH350 selector shaft", I found the following part on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TH350-C...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Using "TH400 selector shaft", I found the following part on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TH-400-3L80...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by TedH; 12-02-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mushrush8
thanks so much
Pricey but free shipping at least...both items same place. This job can be done without the tool (hammer, small nail, & hook) but it takes a little knowledge of what not to do (a.k.a. scratching/nicking the shaft) so here's a link to a specialized tool and a seal. Careful when loosening/tightening the nut on the shaft, you'll mess up if you don't hold the linkage with the U-bracket. Careful putting new seal over shaft, usually has a burr on the shaft. Clean with brake cleaner and use a little weatherstrip sealer on circumference of the seal when installing. The seal need not be sent all the way in, just past the case bevel and that will allow seal to "ride" on smooth shaft area in case it's worn from old seal. Also, if no room to use tool becasue of floorboard interference, you may have to drop cross member and lower tail of trans. Remove/loosen distributor cap and watch fan blade at the shroud if you do so.

Tool http://www.classictransmissionsoluti...SABEgLoofD_BwE

Seal http://www.classictransmissionsoluti...yABEgLlofD_BwE

Jim

PS You can use two seals to remedy worn shift shafts also. Install one after the other. Done it before.

Last edited by jimvette999; 12-02-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:56 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

It's always best to pull the shaft out and THEN pry the seal out. Then reinstall the shaft and button it up.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I had the same issue on the trans of my '78, I thought for ages it was the pan gasket until I was able to clean everything and check it each day.

I got hold of the seals from a friend over in CA, but didn't have any of the small "picks" that everyone else seems to have! I really struggled to pull out the old seal, bearing in mind the risk of scratching the shaft or the case. I ruined a couple of tiny screw-drivers! But, it came out cleanly.

I put some electrical tape around the shaft, to ensure a "smooth run" for the seal, which I'd greased a little.

I tapped the new seal down snug with a socket. Reconnected the shifter quadrant and hey presto, no leaks!

Apparently, on some transmissions, the casing is such that two seals could be out in on top of each other. Mine did not have that much clearance.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:48 PM
mushrush8
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much guys. I’m gonna look Into the seal now and possibly the tool. Thanks so much for the replies. This really helps out a lot
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I just had my 400 rebuilt and, it's gotta go back again because of this. Going on 3 times

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission leak help please

Quick Reply: Transmission leak help please