C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Headlight Door Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Yet Another Headlight Door Question

I've completely gone through my '69 headlight door mechanisms; new actuators, plastic bearings, springs, warning switches, cotter pins etc. Installed, positioned and shimmed the frames to align the doors with the body. Adjusted the up and down stops as per the AIM. Now I'm trying to adjust the clevis rod length.

The problem is when the doors are in the closed position. The down stop is in contact with the adjustment bolt as it should be, the doors are flush with the body and everything is fine. This is with atmospheric pressure on both sides of the actuator. If I pull a vacuum on the back port of the actuator (as it would be when the headlight switch is off) the doors go down another ~1/4" or so. Is this abnormal or expected behavior? So far I haven't been able to figure out the cause. I've done a few forum searches but haven't been able to find a thread that deals with this issue.

Thanks,
-Doug
Attached Images     
Old 01-04-2018, 01:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Doug,
WOW!!!!

Shouldn't the 'down-stop' prevent the door from closing any further regardless of the vacuum present in the 'close' side of the actuator?

Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:00 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Shouldn't the 'down-stop' prevent the door from closing any further regardless of the vacuum present in the 'close' side of the actuator
Yes Alan, one would think so but, when the door is down without vacuum applied, the down-stop bolt pinches a piece of paper.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:58 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi CU,
Doesn't the top surface of the head of the adjusting bolt interface with the notch cut into the elbow.
Isn't that a metal to metal contact?
Am I missing something?
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Hi CU,
Doesn't the top surface of the head of the adjusting bolt interface with the notch cut into the elbow.
Isn't that a metal to metal contact?
Am I missing something?
It does, it is, and no Alan you aren't missing anything. Pictured below is without vacuum applied. It seems that the whole mechanism flexes a little just prior to the diaphragm bottoming out.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2018, 06:05 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi CU,
I notice the nut on the adjusting screw!?!
It's not shown in the AIM and I'm pretty certain there weren't any on the adjusters on my 71 headlights.
Is there ANY chance that's part of the cause for what you're seeing?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-04-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Am I correct in that you have not adjusted the clevis length yet? If so you must do so before so you will not have any more travel in the actuator rod. The correct order of adjustment is; "W" bracket, then Clevis, and finally the adjustment bolts.

The correct procedure can be found here: (Reference; 1970 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual; Electrical - Body & Chassis - Section 12-3)
The following users liked this post:
See 3 (01-15-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

I notice the nut on the adjusting screw!?!
It's not shown in the AIM and I'm pretty certain there weren't any on the adjusters on my 71 headlights.
Is there ANY chance that's part of the cause for what you're seeing?
Right, I added the nuts to lock the adjusting screws in place. They spun a little too freely in my judgement. They are well out of the way and don't seem to have an affect on anything. I'll remove one and retest.

Originally Posted by Dave J
Am I correct in that you have not adjusted the clevis length yet? If so you must do so before so you will not have any more travel in the actuator rod. The correct order of adjustment is; "W" bracket, then Clevis, and finally the adjustment bolts.

The correct procedure can be found here: (Reference; 1970 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual; Electrical - Body & Chassis - Section 12-3)
Thanks Dave. I tried the AIM method (1/2 turn past touch condition with lamps up) but the issue persists. I'll try readjusting using the actuator rod travel limit as a reference and see if that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Yet Another Headlight Door Question

Quick Reply: Yet Another Headlight Door Question