C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharkbite suspension finally installed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:05 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Sharkbite suspension finally installed!!!!

After weeks of attempting to fit 18x10 / 5.25" backspace Rambler wheels, I finally succeeded by getting the Sharkbite suspension installed! My first attempt trying to fit the wheels was to cut off the parking brake bracket on the stock trailing arms. The 18" wheels cleared the VB&P spring with no issues, but even after cutting off the parking brake bracket the tire had clearance issues on the stock trailing arms.

The next plan was to swap out the suspension. I decided to go with the Sharkbite as the car will never see track duty and I wanted the bling factor! With that, I had all the suspension parts chromed...
This required baking off all the powdercoating. I also decided to add stainless steel flat washers on most bolts as SS washers are thin and would protect the nice chrome finish from marring.

I then decided to replace the trailing arms with offset ones. After carefully researching all he aftermarket trailing arms I decided to go with Van Steel offsets with Johnny Joints. This required two additional brackets from Speed Direct which I felt were very costly for what they are. Also, because the ones that came in the kit could have been cut to be made like the second set I had purchased. These additional brackets then had to be professionally welded squarely onto the ends of the Van Steel trailing arms.

After numerous little headaches as usual working on these cars , I finally got the entire suspension installed. I set up the rear with the suggested 1/8" toe-in and zero camber for now. After driving a little, I definitely can feel a difference as the car is much more stable. I have ordered the front Sharkbite coilovers so I can set the rake a little lower in the front. Hopefully after a good alignment the car will finally handle like it should.

BTW; the rear VB&P sway bar was barely touching at the mid-point of the rear tires. According to Speed Direct, most don't run one, but I am planning on taking the bar to a machine shop to have it bent just a touch on each corner bringing the ends in about 3/8 of an inch.

B-R

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackRocket:
ddawson (01-05-2018), Metalhead140 (01-05-2018), resdoggie (04-29-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks great! I love that design for the rear suspension.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:35 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Who does chrome in our area? I'd love to have my rear bumpers redone.

Looks great.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

That looks amazing! I love it. Great job.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM
lucasl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good I was thinking of getting that for mine one day. Be interesting to see how you find the handling after having the front shark bite kit installed.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

I wanted to swap gears to 3.73's and replace the rear cover with a Sharkbite aluminum cover...but overall cost and was already up to my neck in work.

BTW; the Sharkbite suspension is like a small puzzle. If you forget something you have to remove 3-4 parts to get back to it...

Also, the chrome shop I used was Walker's Custom Chrome in Shasta Lake, CA. Howard Walker was very reasonably priced but has since retired as of Jan 1st. Sherms in Sacramento is a good choice as well;
http://www.shermsplating.com/

B-R
Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I ended up wrestling with mine for a solid week too. Speed Direct was less than helpful and really wanted nothing to do with me "after the sale" IMO. They did send some franken-brackets after the fact that looked like Helen Keller welded up. I had clearance/fitment issues out the ying/yang....here's some pictures of the BS I had to correct on their direct fit suspension. It does look good though. I've since replaced the calipers with Wilwood D8's.

Last edited by jimvette999; 01-05-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:19 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think I would have powder coated the black steel parts silver.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:20 PM
BlackRocket
Drifting

I would have to agree with you Jimvette999 on the customer service. Also, the install was not easy and there were a lot of issues which seems pretty standard these days with aftermarket conversions. One item in particular was when I was all finished with the project and attempting to grease the Johnny Joints on the trailing arms and couldn't pull the grease gun off! Even with pliers! I had to unscrew the flex line from the gun and find a bolt with threads that fit the back side of the nozzle. Only then was I able to get enough torque at different angles to get it to pop off! That took me over an hour to resolve!!!! Great times!

Last edited by BlackRocket; 01-05-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
I would have to agree with you Jimvette999 on the customer service. Also, the install was not easy and there were a lot of issues which seems pretty standard these days with aftermarket conversions. One item in particular was when I was all finished with the project and attempting to grease the Johnny Joints on the trailing arms and couldn't pull the grease gun off! Even with pliers! I had to unscrew the flex line from the gun and find a bolt with threads that fit the back side of the nozzle. Only then was I able to get enough torque at different angles to get it to pop off! That took me over an hour to resolve!!!! Great times!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:10 AM
White_Raven
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As of the time of this post, us 80~82 guys are SOL on the sharkbite. The tech guy I spoke with said you COULD make it work, but it would require fabbing. I'm just learning how to weld, and I'm not going to take a chance on messing up my suspension trying to cobble it together.

Apparently there's a "List" of owners that want it, and if they get enough names on th list, they will make a kit for our C3's too. Let's hope! I bought the Steeroids, hope it is as awesome as I have heard.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by White_Raven
As of the time of this post, us 80~82 guys are SOL on the sharkbite. The tech guy I spoke with said you COULD make it work, but it would require fabbing. I'm just learning how to weld, and I'm not going to take a chance on messing up my suspension trying to cobble it together.

Apparently there's a "List" of owners that want it, and if they get enough names on th list, they will make a kit for our C3's too. Let's hope! I bought the Steeroids, hope it is as awesome as I have heard.
Do you know what the major difference is on 80-82 that the kit does not fit?
Old 04-29-2018, 12:11 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

It's the batwing setup. The brackets mounts need to be changed to connected to the batwing connection points.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
It's the batwing setup. The brackets mounts need to be changed to connected to the batwing connection points.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sweet! Form and functiin, and drop dead best looking rear suspension ever created for a C3!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:39 PM
White_Raven
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patro46
Sweet! Form and functiin, and drop dead best looking rear suspension ever created for a C3!
...rub it in, why don't you.

Get notified of new replies

To Sharkbite suspension finally installed!!!!

Quick Reply: Sharkbite suspension finally installed!!!!