C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 Side Exhaust Cover Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 03:24 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default '69 Side Exhaust Cover Fitment Issue

With the exhaust cover aligned with the mounting screw holes in the rocker, there's ~1/4" of interference between the bottom of the LH quarter panel and the rear portion of the exhaust cover. My dilemma is, should I trim the QP and do the necessary body work or try to modify the (expensive) repop cover?

Simply lowering the cover is not an option because its upper mounting holes are already very close to the edge.

Thanks,
-Doug
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Doug,
I would check something before doing any cutting. Will the covers COMPLETELY conceal the mufflers?

Having the covers as high as your photo indicates may cause the bottom of the muffler to show below the exhaust cover.

I put 69 side exhaust on my 71 in 1971.
I dropped the covers about 1/4"-3/8" below the under-side of the front fender and below the dog-leg of the rear quarter.

When standing up a person COULDN'T see that the covers were dropped, but they COULD see that the mufflers were completely hidden.

Have you test fit the covers with the exhaust pipes/mufflers in place?

Regards,
Alan

No muffler visible below cover.

Position of cover relative to fender and quarter panel dog leg. This DID require drilling new holes in the rocker channel..... but seeing the muffler was unacceptable.

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:49 PM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Will the covers COMPLETELY conceal the mufflers?
Hi Alan,

Point taken. I have the manifolds but have yet to purchased the exhaust system/mufflers. It's an original N14 car and for now I'm just trying to fit the covers using the factory mounting holes.

As always, thanks for the quick response and helpful pictures.

-Doug
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:52 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Doug,

I'm having the same issue on the ZR-1 clone we are doing...

The body shop that did the work is to blame, but it's hard to blame them too... this car was rolled five years ago. When they installed the new front end, they made the left side fender and quarter panel come down to far and why I have no idea... It was out of my handes.
(I can take pictures if needed).

While I'm the final assembly guy on this project for the customer I wasn't involved in the body work and I can't emphasize more... test fit test fit test fit... The entire front end of this car will have to be re-painted because there are no break points on a c3 front end. personally I think we can blend out the rear quarter repair but that's to be determined.

So... We're sending the car to our bodyshop with a good used side rocker molding so that the quarter and fender can be fixed... if the rocker panel molding will fit the car the side cover should as well but because of how expensive the side covers are i'd rather let them do this with a rocker first, then we'll test the side cover, then then paint.

I have pictures of a factory side exhaust car fit too, so if you need to see how close the factory covers fit, post back. I'm sure I'll see it in a day or two.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 01-09-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Side Exhaust Cover Fitment Issue

Quick Reply: '69 Side Exhaust Cover Fitment Issue