C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Explosion: 3000hp Cummins Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I sold BIG Cummins (not Cummings, BTW) diesel engines for many years...like the 50 liter KTA3067 which produced 2250 HP at 1800 rpm for standby power generation. This is a good example of what happens when someone thinks they know more than the factory engineers.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 01-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I doubt staged. That much power is an expensive engine. And even if a cheap old engine with huge injectors and way over boosted to blow on purpose, how much does a dyno cost? If it blew the other way, it would have torn up the dyno, and that guy standing looking thru that window. If he expected it to blow, he would not have been standing there.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:24 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
I doubt staged. That much power is an expensive engine. And even if a cheap old engine with huge injectors and way over boosted to blow on purpose, how much does a dyno cost? If it blew the other way, it would have torn up the dyno, and that guy standing looking thru that window. If he expected it to blow, he would not have been standing there.

Rep points out there was oil sprayed on the walls...so presumably there was proper lubrication.

He also says 146 lbs of boost and 2200 HP when it blew. Factory cast block.

They're not sure exactly why it blew. Expensive paperweight now!
Old 01-13-2018, 06:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I also feel it was not staged....but there are people out there with really deep pockets and the cost of this failure is a drop in a bucket in order to get awesome footage of it detonating. Some people with really stupid money will do things for 'kicks' that may seem insane for the rest of us.

And this can be true due to the story I heard about two guys in Texas (I believe) that wanted to get the Porsche 959 imported into the the US. It could not due to it was not crash tested...so they were willing to buy one and have it crash tested so they could get them into the US. And even with that...they were still told no....so I believe how the story went.

Back in the day when I was on a Nitro funny car drag race team. I saw NUMEROUS explosions. Many that occurred on the team I was on. Like I was told by one guy on the team. "There are two types of Funny cars....those that are on fire.,.and those that are going to be on fire." AND I have seen so many exploded cranks, rods and pistons and what the oil pan looked like when it came back into the pits and was torn down.. Best way to describe it is a hand grenade was put into the oil pan area and the pin pulled. And this was before the restrictions that the NHRA placed on them and all of the safety blankets and shields that they have now. I saw Gary Scelzi's Winston Top Fuel dragster have catastrophic failure and when carnage was pulled back into the pits...I saw the engine block that split the block down through all of the cylinders on one side. So..a portion of the block that I personally saw...all four cylinders on one side split down the center...and there were no sleeves for the cylinders and that block casting section with four 'U' areas where the cylinder was. I just stood there and shook my head on the amount of power to cause that to happen. I did not look into the carnage any further once I saw that section of the split block....that was enough for me to be amazed.

DUB
Old 01-13-2018, 08:12 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

[QUOTE=RJ1AZ;1596369515
He also says 146 lbs of boost and 2200 HP when it blew. Factory cast block.

They're not sure exactly why it blew. Expensive paperweight now![/QUOTE]

146 lbs of boost and 2200 HP. And they're not sure why it blew???!!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

They had the remains of that at the PRI show this years, and a $15,000.00 solution by the way of a new billet block.My engine builder was there said the block was a work of art.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy 427
They had the remains of that at the PRI show this years, and a $15,000.00 solution by the way of a new billet block.My engine builder was there said the block was a work of art.
For fifteen grand it should come with a hooker.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Well it will support that 3000 HP now without coming apart.

Quick Reply: Dyno Explosion: 3000hp Cummins Diesel