C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

****JOKING****
The seam in the 3" tube is a torque indicator. IF a 3" half shaft is being used on a Corvette with a lot of torque...it is designed to peel apart and fail.
***END OF JOKING****
Given the choice of that or a half shaft up your rear battery box/***, I kinda like it if it were true. Of course, I worked with fuses for 40 years.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm certainly not a driveshaft (or halfshaft) expert but this thread prompted to me to do a little research. Here are a several informative articles:

The Science Of Driveshafts

Driveshaft Tech – Properly Shafted

IMPORTANT DRIVESHAFT CRITERIA

And here is a calculator Driveshaft Critical Speed

Bottom line, it looks like if the halfshaft material is the same, the 3" halfshaft will be lighter, stronger (torsional yield higher) and the critical speed will be higher (a good thing) than the 2.5" halfshaft. Am I wrong?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I put 3" shafts on my 1970. As others have said, they are absolutely interchangeable.

VERY interesting conversation relative to the benefits of a solid 2.5" versus a 'seamed' 3". My engineering brain goes the same direction as the conclusion provided by Mr. KidVette...the wall thickness (to a point) plays a small part in the overall strength of the shaft. And for the ridiculously short length of these driveshafts, I would speculate that 'seamed' versus 'solid' would have a similarly small impact on strength. I would speculate that the increased diameter would have a vastly greater positive impact to the 'losses' of thickness and construction.

All that said, I'm in the process of planning for a Dart 400 block upgrade which will result in well over 500 hp through a 5 speed and 4.11 hears. When combined with the 325 tires I plan on running after flaring my car, I am working toward fortifying the rear end, which will include more scientific half-shafts.

Last edited by keithinspace; 01-19-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Bottom line, it looks like if the halfshaft material is the same, the 3" halfshaft will be lighter, stronger (torsional yield higher) and the critical speed will be higher (a good thing) than the 2.5" halfshaft. Am I wrong?
But the tubing in the half shafts are not the same material. One is seamed and one is not. They even mentioned is somewhat in one of the article you posted a link to.

From the second link you posted:
Seam Tube is the most common material used for OEM applications. It is perfectly suited for everyday driver or restored cars. Although stretching its limits is a possibility, it could be carefully used in circle track and drag racing applications.

Pros: This is the most cost effective driveshaft you will ever find.

Cons: It’s also the weakest of all the steel driveshaft and has the lowest critical speed survivability rating, and is still heavy. Once again, steel weld yokes are used.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 01-19-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
I put 3" shafts on my 1970. As others have said, they are absolutely interchangeable.

VERY interesting conversation relative to the benefits of a solid 2.5" versus a 'seamed' 3". My engineering brain goes the same direction as the conclusion provided by Mr. KidVette...the wall thickness (to a point) plays a small part in the overall strength of the shaft. And for the ridiculously short length of these driveshafts, I would speculate that 'seamed' versus 'solid' would have a similarly small impact on strength. I would speculate that the increased diameter would have a vastly greater positive impact to the 'losses' of thickness and construction.

All that said, I'm in the process of planning for a Dart 400 block upgrade which will result in well over 500 hp through a 5 speed and 4.11 hears. When combined with the 325 tires I plan on running after flaring my car, I am working toward fortifying the rear end, which will include more scientific half-shafts.
You might want to call a local driveshaft shop and get a quote on having your halfshafts retubed. I just called a driveshaft shop here in Tucson and got a quote of 300 bucks (150 per shaft) to have a set of 3 inch halfshafts retubed with .134 wall thickness seamless tubing and the price included balancing them as well (factory halfshafts aren't balanced for some unknown reason). That's a lot better of a deal than buying an aftermarket set of 3 inch halfshafts for 500 bucks or more.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
You might want to call a local driveshaft shop and get a quote on having your halfshafts retubed. I just called a driveshaft shop here in Tucson and got a quote of 300 bucks (150 per shaft) to have a set of 3 inch halfshafts retubed with .134 wall thickness seamless tubing and the price included balancing them as well (factory halfshafts aren't balanced for some unknown reason). That's a lot better of a deal than buying an aftermarket set of 3 inch halfshafts for 500 bucks or more.

Good deal. And y'all thought I was making that up!! They can go ahead and install solid Spicers while they have it.

JIM
Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

............. balancing them as well (factory halfshafts aren't balanced for some unknown reason).
They are short and turn 1/3 the speed of a driveshaft.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
But the tubing in the half shafts are not the same material. One is seamed and one is not. They even mentioned is somewhat in one of the article you posted a link to.

From the second link you posted:
Seam Tube is the most common material used for OEM applications. It is perfectly suited for everyday driver or restored cars. Although stretching its limits is a possibility, it could be carefully used in circle track and drag racing applications.

Pros: This is the most cost effective driveshaft you will ever find.

Cons: It’s also the weakest of all the steel driveshaft and has the lowest critical speed survivability rating, and is still heavy. Once again, steel weld yokes are used.

DUB
Yep, got it but the point I was making is that wall thickness is not the only factor in the strength or performance of a halfshaft. In this case, if the same type tubing is used in construction; the thinner walled 3" halfshaft would perform better in every category than the thicker walled 2 1/2". That's good to know if you are having custom halfshafts made for your application.

And it isn't clear from the pictures in this thread whether the 2 1/2" tubing is seamed or not. We can only view one side of the ID.

Last edited by Kid Vette; 01-19-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:57 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

If I remember correctly the Denneys nitro ready half shafts are 3" solid, thick wall tubing, balanced, included new spicer u joints were rated at 1100 hp and we're ready to install for $270.00 per shaft. More than retuning, but all new parts.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Yep, got it but the point I was making is that wall thickness is not the only factor in the strength or performance of a halfshaft. In this case, if the same type tubing is used in construction; the thinner walled 3" halfshaft would perform better in every category than the thicker walled 2 1/2". That's good to know if you are having custom halfshafts made for your application.

And it isn't clear from the pictures in this thread whether the 2 1/2" tubing is seamed or not. We can only view one side of the ID.
when you are talking about the wall thickness and diameter. Those variables can make a significant difference.

This is an area that can raise a debate ...that is for sure.

DUB
Old 03-17-2018, 06:44 PM
super charged
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I know this is old But you have it right a larger tube is stronger then a smaller tube, as OD goes up wall goes down you don't see semi with 3" drive shafts. All tubing starts out as a flat sheet off a coil it all has a seem, the difference the material and if Its DOM.

Last edited by super charged; 03-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

So if I have this right, the strongest half shaft would be a 3" re-made with .125" or .134" wall seamless tubing, and combined with non-greasable u-joints. I've driven the new 427 for a few blocks (waiting for the snow to melt) and I think I'm going to have to start worrying about the strength of the driveline!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:07 PM
super charged
Instructor

Its eganenering 101
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

True or False ? Big Block 2 1/2" Half Shafts were Shot Peened at the Factory to make them stronger ? I have herd this from time to time but never seen any proof. And even if it is true we can assume the production line used what ever they had handy at the time.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:32 PM
super charged
Instructor

Shot peen is a to relieve stress, I would really doubt them doing it.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Assuming the steel is the same in both, the late stock 3" at 0.095" wall thickness (2.81" ID) will be slightly stronger (torsional stiffness) than the early stock 2.5" at even 0.135" wall thickness (2.23" ID). It's only a slight difference, so if there is a significant difference in weld strength, that would be the deciding factor.

So, yes, 3" OD, with a thicker than stock wall thickness would be the best of all.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:19 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think mine we're built by PST in Tampa I think I got the letters right. They are all new with solid joints. If I remember correctly they we're only a few bucks more than paying someone to install new joints.
They are beautiful! I called the owner and asked how strong they would be if I stepped up the power and he said if you twist them or break them ever he would replace them.
Unless you have a really stock car or a ncrs car I'd go after market. Bear in mind there are other weak links in the rear.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by super charged
Shot peen is a to relieve stress, I would really doubt them doing it.
I could swear that I read a LONG time ago that GM shot peened connecting rods back in the late 1960'S. So...they might have had the half shafts dona also. Who knows.

DUB
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 PM
super charged
Instructor

Connecting rods yes but half shafts i dont see the gain, but stranger things have happened.

Quick Reply: Half shaft question