C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 heads on a 350?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 01:21 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

Very interesting....

It has the bicycle/single roller timing chain assembly and the block is machined flat around the cam and lifter oil galley plugs but it is not set up for the hyd roller thrust plate.....

It also has GENII LT1/LT4 type lifter oil galley plugs that have the little hole in them to spray oil on the timing gear assembly that would drive the water pump (which your engine being GENI SBC obviously doesn't have).

I would like to see pics of the rotating assembly and lifter valley of the block once you get the pan and intake off it.

Will
Old 03-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Very interesting....

It has the bicycle/single roller timing chain assembly and the block is machined flat around the cam and lifter oil galley plugs but it is not set up for the hyd roller thrust plate.....

It also has GENII LT1/LT4 type lifter oil galley plugs that have the little hole in them to spray oil on the timing gear assembly that would drive the water pump (which your engine being GENI SBC obviously doesn't have).

I would like to see pics of the rotating assembly and lifter valley of the block once you get the pan and intake off it.

Will
View My Video do these help?
i did notice the machining around the gallery plugs too, but didnt know how a normal block would look
They have the small holes in them too, and are stsmped with a letter

Last edited by Dusky; 03-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:00 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Besides the wiped cam lobes, whats up with the malted milk on the camshaft? Thats always an indication of glycol / oil mix. Any anti-freeze in the lifter valley? Because the malt is near the rear of the cam, perhaps the intake gasket was leaking at the waterport, at the rear of the head.

Next Summit wish list: A good oil with zinc and a bottle of camshaft break-in zinc.
Double-Row Timing set.
Quality FelPro intake gaskets.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-05-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Dusky
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Besides the wiped cam lobes, whats up with the malted milk on the camshaft? Thats always an indication of glycol / oil mix. Any anti-freeze in the lifter valley? Because the malt is near the rear of the cam, perhaps the intake gasket was leaking at the waterport, at the rear of the head.

Next Summit wish list: A good oil with zinc and a bottle of camshaft break-in zinc.
Double-Row Timing set.
Quality FelPro intake gaskets.
No idea to be honest, it really had the consistency ( is that spelled correctly?) of dried paint on it, couldn't scrape it off either.
There wasn't any real 'mayo' in the lifter valley, only a little bit wich I would attribute to the very little running this engine has done in the past years, 9753 miles since 2005, ran it for 10 minutes in november when I parked it in my ex's garage, and ran it for an hour when I drove it to my place 3 months later, so I'm guessing it's condensation

Summit doesn't ship oils, not even cam lube But I did find a German supplier for Amsoil Z rod and cam lube/additives
Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Ok good. No mixing of the liquids. Sure looked like "malted- mayo".

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-05-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 305 heads on a 350?