C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for SB Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 AM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendation for SB Headers

Need help!!!!
Are there any headers for a 69 sb 350 that my stock side exhaust pipes will fit without any modifications????
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by joe1950
Need help!!!!
Are there any headers for a 69 sb 350 that my stock side exhaust pipes will fit without any modifications????
The closest you will get to stock fit is with block-hugger headers. You may as well stay with your cast iron manifolds until you can afford to adapt your exhaust system to headers.

I drove my C3 with open headers to a muffler shop and they fabricated and installed an entire aluminized dual exhaust for under $250 using my Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. This was back near 2000 so prices are probably a bit higher.

You can probably get aluminized pipes bent and welded between headers and your side pipes for under $150 installed. Perhaps under $100 with minimum bends and clamps (no welds).
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 AM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TedH
The closest you will get to stock fit is with block-hugger headers. You may as well stay with your cast iron manifolds until you can afford to adapt your exhaust system to headers.

I drove my C3 with open headers to a muffler shop and they fabricated and installed an entire aluminized dual exhaust for under $250 using my Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. This was back near 2000 so prices are probably a bit higher.

You can probably get aluminized pipes bent and welded between headers and your side pipes for under $150 installed. Perhaps under $100 with minimum bends and clamps (no welds).
The block hugger ones look like the pipe will fit on but the other issue was the ignition sheilding? Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Joe,
There are 2 things to consider with the shielding:
First, the spark plug hear shields mount to the side of the block and extend up between the spark plug pairs. The headers may prevent that, but maybe not.
Second, the radio shielding attaches to small brackets that attach to the engine using the exhaust manifold bolts. The header mounting bolts may or may not allow the brackets and shields to be used.
Regards,
Alan

Right side heat shielding.

Brackets (w/wing nuts) for radio shielding in place on manifold bolts.

Radio shielding in place.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I had to remove all the shielding on my 76, including my a/c mounting bracket, which was replaced with an aftermarket bracket. I ran my spark plug wires low like the original ones were. No problems with the Taylor wires, yet.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 PM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Joe,
First, the spark plug hear shields mount to the side of the block and extend up between the spark plug pairs. The headers may prevent that, but maybe not.
Second, the radio shielding attaches to small brackets that attach to the engine using the exhaust manifold bolts. The header mounting bolts may or may not allow the brackets and shields to be used.
Regards,
Alan
Wow great pictures
Thanks
Now can you recommend a set of headers that will fit stock side pipes?

Can you recommend a set of headers that will fit without any modifications onto stock side exaust?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 PM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Can you recommend a set of headers that will fit without any modifications onto stock side exaust?
Another question will the chrome covers on the wires be an issue?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:49 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Hi Joe,
Regards,
Alan

I run the Hedmann 68301 headers on my SBC. I removed the chrome 'U' covers that would have gone between the manifolds and spark plugs. It was not worth the trouble to retrofit them.

I use the 'V' shields along the underside of the block to route the spark plug wires for 1/3 and 2/4 cylinders. I like the fact the spark plug wires are not visible from above save for where they meet the spark plugs. red wires and reinforced silicone boots (Taylor).

All wires go through the 8mm 4-wire looms at rear of engine (behind each cylinder head) and I use the MSD 2-wire 'twist-on' clamps at distributor and to control the placement of the wires near but not ON the headers of all spark plug wires as they run near the headers. They have worked perfectly for over 15 years.

I have Taylor custom fit Spiro Pro 8mm spark plug wires. I like they are red like my MSD distributor cap (close to the color of my C3 too).

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8842/1...gaAmP1EALw_wcB

Last edited by TedH; 02-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Joe,
In my first post I addressed the radio shielding issue.
The shields are supported by small brackets that use the exhaust manifold bolts for attachment. (Look at the second photo.) Whether they will be usable with a header I don't know.

I'd question what effect a header that is designed to mate up with the side exhaust head pipe can have on performance.
Are you thinking this will result in enough of an increase in hp that you'll be able to notice a difference?
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-21-2018, 05:08 PM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Hi Joe,
In my first post I addressed the radio shielding issue.
The shields are supported by small brackets that use the exhaust manifold bolts for attachment. (Look at the second photo.) Whether they will be usable with a header I don't know.

I'd question what effect a header that is designed to mate up with the side exhaust head pipe can have on performance.
Are you thinking this will result in enough of an increase in hp that you'll be able to notice a difference?
Regards,
Alan
Yes
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Yes
No. You will not get a meaningful hp increase from shorty headers and your stock connecting pipe.

You will need long tube headers like these to improve power ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=corv...depipe+headers

Will you be able to retain your OEM chrome ignition shielding using the aftermarket headers? Not very likely, a couple of pieces at most.

R

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 02-21-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Joe,
Well, I really don't know what to say!
I don't know much about making horsepower, but I don't see how changing from the rams horn manifold to a header that bolts to your existing 69 style side exhaust head pipe, with NO modification, can make many more horsepower.
I think people typically believe that the 69 style side exhaust is about appearance and sound, NOT about horsepower.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-22-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM
joe1950
Heel & Toe

Hi Joe,
Well, I really don't know what to say!
I don't know much about making horsepower, but I don't see how changing from the rams horn manifold to a header that bolts to your existing 69 style side exhaust head pipe, with NO modification, can make many more horsepower.
I think people typically that the 69 style side exhaust is about appearance and sound, NOT about horsepower.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks very much.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendation for SB Headers

Quick Reply: Recommendation for SB Headers