C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 bolt main conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy 427
I have a great engine builder with a killer machine shop. The sad thing is, he has no apprentice to learn and take over the shop when he decides to hang it up.
thats too bad, too bad he’s not in utah👍
Old 03-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Everything checked out good at the machine shop after my 4 bolt conversion, they honed it already and now have to rehone due to the fact I’m using arp studs.
Really happy everything turned out good, now waiting for the rotating assy, ( pistons ) so we can do a .030+ bore and zero deck and we will be one step closer.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Muzzyzx7rr
Everything checked out good at the machine shop after my 4 bolt conversion, they honed it already and now have to rehone due to the fact I’m using arp studs.
Really happy everything turned out good, now waiting for the rotating assy, ( pistons ) so we can do a .030+ bore and zero deck and we will be one step closer.
I have stuck a BHJ line hone check bar through a BBC before and after stud install and there was no change at all. The main webs on a BBC are quite beefy and have never seen distortion on a four bolt. Just FYI bit it sure does not hurt to check.......besides.....I like the journal a little on the large side to assemble....especially if one uses an Eagle crank, which has a tendency to run fat.

What was your reasoning for doing the four bolt caps to begin with?
Good luck on your project.

Jebby
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Muzzyzx7rr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
I have stuck a BHJ line hone check bar through a BBC before and after stud install and there was no change at all. The main webs on a BBC are quite beefy and have never seen distortion on a four bolt. Just FYI bit it sure does not hurt to check.......besides.....I like the journal a little on the large side to assemble....especially if one uses an Eagle crank, which has a tendency to run fat.

What was your reasoning for doing the four bolt caps to begin with?
Good luck on your project.

Jebby
im going scat and the reason I did this was just to do it😊. I know arp studs in a 2-bolt would of been fine but this is a project for my father and I and why not. Sure am glad we didn’t run into any problems and ruin the block but it’s just cool to be able to say we did it together👍
Old 03-18-2018, 11:48 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Muzzyzx7rr

im going scat and the reason I did this was just to do it😊. I know arp studs in a 2-bolt would of been fine but this is a project for my father and I and why not. Sure am glad we didn’t run into any problems and ruin the block but it’s just cool to be able to say we did it together👍
Gotcha....

Jebby

Quick Reply: 4 bolt main conversion.