C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willcox - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Willcox - help

Ernie,

I have a 77, and I am working on the plug that goes into the printed circuit behind the gauges (to add a check engine light in the cockpit for my TPI).

This shows the passenger's side black wire (4th one down) as ground, but it does not address the driver's side black wire (top wire).

I have been tracing circuits until my eyes are crossed, and it seems that this driver's side black wire is also a ground. Is this correct?? If not, what is the function of this black wire?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Last edited by Rotonda; 02-27-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,154 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Do you have a multimeter? The '79 wiring diagram I have shows both black wires (and most other black wires) share a common ground. On the gauge side, the "ground" pin appears to go to the fuel gauge, and the questionable one at the top left goes to the negative of all of the gauges and lights, including the fuel gauge again.

If you check the connector for continuity, they should both ring out connected and to the negative battery terminal, at least as far as I can tell from this diagram.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Bikespace; 02-27-2018 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rotonda (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 01:09 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,013 Posts

You are correct, wire #150 is a common dash harness ground. My guess is that the printed circuit board may be divided requiring 2 sources? The main #150 splice area is to the left and down from the printed circuit board on the drawing.
The following users liked this post:
Rotonda (03-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Willcox - help

Quick Reply: Willcox - help