C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fried wire.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:23 PM
jankyrre
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried wire.

Hello.New member from Norway seeking help.I am having an issue with an-81 that I hope somebody can help me sorting out. I am in the prosess of replacing part of the interior . When I removed the emergency brake cover I noticed a fried wire.By the look of it, it happened a loooong time ago.This is a black ground wire with a white stripe routed from a relay to the ECM.As far as I can see from the wiringdiagram it has to do with the Neutral switch.What made me wonder is the way this is hooked up.There is two thick wires.One pink and one yellow connected to pin 85 and 86 on the relay.To the spool.The black fried groundwire is connected to pin 30 and then there is a orange wire routed from pin 87 to the ECM.I am far from an expert,but in my head this is the opposite of a normal relay connection.The thicker wires ,presumable carrying the highest load,are controlling ground from one pin on the ECM to another pin.Is the way it is supposed to be? Have to find out what caused that fried wire and also what this relay is supposed to control..Hoping somebody can help?

Attached Images  

Last edited by jankyrre; 03-05-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Adding pic
Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jankyrre
Hello.New member from Norway seeking help.I am having an issue with an-81 that I hope somebody can help me sorting out. I am in the prosess of replacing part of the interior . When I removed the emergency brake cover I noticed a fried wire.By the look of it, it happened a loooong time ago.This is a black ground wire with a white stripe routed from a relay to the ECM.As far as I can see from the wiringdiagram it has to do with the Neutral switch.What made me wonder is the way this is hooked up.There is two thick wires.One pink and one yellow connected to pin 85 and 86 on the relay.To the spool.The black fried groundwire is connected to pin 30 and then there is a orange wire routed from pin 87 to the ECM.I am far from an expert,but in my head this is the opposite of a normal relay connection.The thicker wires ,presumable carrying the highest load,are controlling ground from one pin on the ECM to another pin.Is the way it is supposed to be? Have to find out what caused that fried wire and also what this relay is supposed to control..Hoping somebody can help?

Just a long shot but that relay may control part of the alarm system.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It is odd that the black wire with the white stripe melted. Usually when that occurs the black wire has touched a 12 volt source.

I do not have my wiring diagrams here at home so I will look for it tomorrow.

Knowing how a relay like this would work. That black wire with the white stripe is a CONTROL signal from the computer to energize the relay and make it switch. Because ...generally...orange wires have current on them at all times...so it could not be the control to make the relay work.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jankyrre
This is a black ground wire with a white stripe routed from a relay to the ECM.As far as I can see from the wiringdiagram it has to do with the Neutral switch.What made me wonder is the way this is hooked up.There is two thick wires.One pink and one yellow connected to pin 85 and 86 on the relay.To the spool.The black fried groundwire is connected to pin 30 and then there is a orange wire routed from pin 87 to the ECM.I am far from an expert,but in my head this is the opposite of a normal relay connection.The thicker wires ,presumable carrying the highest load,are controlling ground from one pin on the ECM to another pin.Is the way it is supposed to be? Have to find out what caused that fried wire and also what this relay is supposed to control..Hoping somebody can help?
You are correct in what this relay does. The black/white wire is the ECM ground, and it switches to the orange black wire when in Neutral or park. The two wires on the coil are larger as the pink is a main power loop (unfused) and the yellow is connected to the starting circuit (also unfused).
The pink is hot in start and run, the yellow is hot in start. The result is this relay tells the ECM if the car is in neutral or park when the car is running, but not starting.
Hope that helps

Get notified of new replies

To Fried wire.

Quick Reply: Fried wire.