C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block Build Components

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Big Block Build Components

https://www.jegs.com/i/United-Engine...060-1/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/26385716/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Scat/942/945425/10002/-1

https://www.jegs.com/i/Brodix/158/2061000/10002/-1

Should be a 496 CID with 10.5 compression.

Any opinions on this or better ideas?

Thanks

Jim
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 783 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I do not like the cast steel cranks and have been advised not to use em. I would also pick a lighter piston, however what is your end goal? Street, racing , cruising ? You might be better off using a complete package like Ohio Crank offers.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Build the bottom end as absolutely strong as you can. Forged everything, studs, ARP bolts, the works. With that, regardless of what you want to do right now, you can add to it later and not have to worry.
Ohio Crank, as Pop pointed out, has a pretty good deal on either assembled or unassembled short blocks. Others have short blocks close to the same money. Package heads are fine, but you should match the valve springs to the cam you're going to run, or that will cause headaches down the road too.
Even just for Saturday night cruising, it's not much fun to have to spend the next week trying to hunt down a problem like a broken valve spring or bent pushrod because you got a bit over excited with the loud pedal and made that guy in the other car look bad in front of his date.

Last edited by TimAT; 04-26-2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

That crank - as long as you get the one that can be internally balanced - will handle just about all you can throw at it short of large doses of nitrous. A guy over at the Team Chevelle site ran one for about 4 years, pulling the front wheels on pretty much every run and hit it with a 175 shot of spray on several. Finally broke but even he admits he got more than his money's worth. Said he thought it was forged when he got the engine, so he treated it as such. Scat's newer ones are profiled just like their forged cranks with bullnosed counterweights and a few other things.
Good choice on the rods.
I'm with Pop on the pistons, those are a bit heavy.

Choice on the crank depends entirely on what you plan to do with the car. Spirited street and an occasional blast down the strip, no problem with cast. Dedicated race car, go forged.
The following users liked this post:
72 Project (05-07-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

It looks like a decent setup. Scat makes some good stuff and the cast steel crankshafts can hold up to a lot of abuse. I am not sure if the pistons include rings. If not you may want to look at something like a Wiseco piston that does include rings.
The following users liked this post:
72 Project (05-07-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:04 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I'm stroking my BB to 496 with 10.5 to 1 cr as well and going with the SCAT forged crank, forged rods and pistons. The owner of the speed/machine shop helping me and the customer reps at SCAT all agreed that I could use a cast crank, but I tend to over engineer everything and went with a forged crank upgrade. The cost difference was only about $600.00 and I thought it was cheap insurance.
I hope you found a good performance machine or speed shop to help you out. There is a lot on little things I have learned about putting this motor together.
Have you decided on your camshaft yet?
Just remember it all has to work together to make it right. Including your transmission, torque converter if automatic, rear end gearing etc...
Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the pistons sound heavy. What do you recommend? Forged with a 23 cc Dome?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Diamond or SRP for pistons
Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Scat has a complete setup that you should probably look at instead of piece mealing this together. If you are buying a crank anyway, the stroker crank is the same $$. Free HP. Scat has nice stuff. Go to their website and pick a packaged setup with rods, pistons, crank and you will be happy. They have several piston options to go with their setup as well.

I have the same exact heads from Brodix. Nice heads, but be sure to have everything checked. Don't just slap them on. Spring heights, etc, should all be checked.

Last edited by 73racevette; 05-08-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by 73racevette
Scat has a complete setup that you should probably look at instead of piece mealing this together. If you are buying a crank anyway, the stroker crank is the same $$. Free HP. Scat has nice stuff. Go to their website and pick a packaged setup with rods, pistons, crank and you will be happy. They have several piston options to go with their setup as well.

I have the same exact heads from Brodix. Nice heads, but be sure to have everything checked. Don't just slap them on. Spring heights, etc, should all be checked.
I agree with all this. I purchased my Edelbrock heads assembled and the machine shop strongly suggested tearing the heads down and checking everything, even with good quality heads.

Nothing comes for free though. If you do stroke your 454 (and I would also suggest you do if replacing your crank) keep in mind that you'll need to purchase new rods, there will be a cost increase in machining your block for clearing the longer rods, and you'll need to purchase a new oil pan with clearance for the longer stroke.

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Build Components

Quick Reply: Big Block Build Components