C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear bushing, poly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:37 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
I liked the video but I didn't see where he sells bushings for C3s... Did I miss it?

Adam

You have to go to the "Menu" on the left side. It opens up a drop down list with all kinds of goodies.......
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
austx
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone used poly bushings on their rear sway bar?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:16 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by austx

I was looking into poly bushings for the rear sway bar on my car. I was curious your experience installing them. The urethane bushings are flanged at both ends, meaning you can't get them thru the opening on the swaybar or link. If you bolt them in per the instructions above (right side) you have a metal-on-metal contact from the bar to the link and from the link the seat.
If you use the stock bushings (left side) you have rubber contacts at both side.
Am I reading the installation instructions wrong?
I am using poly for my rear sway bar but the VB&P setup is different; basically the same style as the fronts.

Looking at the picture you provided it would seem that the bushings must either be split and meant to be applied one from each side (this is what I would expect), lined up with the steel inner sleeve, and held in place by the OEM endlink when installed. If the bushings are in fact one piece then it must be intended that the bushing is somehow pushed through the opening of the sway bar. I have seen these types of bushings as well and basically you grease up one end, set it on an angle into the hole at the sway bar and 'screw' it into position with a twisting motion. The material compresses enough that it will thread through the opening and pop into place once it reaches the center section of the bushing.

One thing I can tell you for absolute certain is that there should be no metal to metal contact there.

Last edited by PainfullySlow; 05-23-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:23 PM
ukjohn
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by austx

I was looking into poly bushings for the rear sway bar on my car. I was curious your experience installing them. The urethane bushings are flanged at both ends, meaning you can't get them thru the opening on the swaybar or link. If you bolt them in per the instructions above (right side) you have a metal-on-metal contact from the bar to the link and from the link the seat.
If you use the stock bushings (left side) you have rubber contacts at both side.
Am I reading the installation instructions wrong?
Sounds like you are reading the instructions wrong. I fitted a set of these today and you can push the bush through the sway bar and the link. you just need to use a vice or a nut and bolt to apply a bit of pressure and they slip in easily.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:37 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Poly bushings are known to bind when used on trailing arms and strut rods due to the fact they pivot laterally as well as axially.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:38 PM
austx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukjohn
Sounds like you are reading the instructions wrong. I fitted a set of these today and you can push the bush through the sway bar and the link. you just need to use a vice or a nut and bolt to apply a bit of pressure and they slip in easily.

Let me give it a try.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Poly bushings are known to bind when used on trailing arms and strut rods due to the fact they pivot laterally as well as axially.
Good points.
Which is why my Van Steel offset TA's have johnny joints on the front.
And my strut rods were replaced with adjustables with heim joint ends.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 PM
austx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
I'm willing to give it a try
Old 05-23-2019, 07:48 PM
austx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukjohn
You were right. I used channel locks with a flat washer and a wide socket and they went right in.
Much ado about nothing.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Rear bushing, poly?