C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat belts problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 03:52 PM
Claudio Silvreti
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat belts problem

Hi friends,
Need some help with my C3 1976.
Have some problems with my upper seat belts, they are not retrackting well. Is it a problem with a spring? Can i fix it by myself, anyone some adeas?
Thanks in advance,
Claudio
Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The belts on these cars are susceptible to corrosion just from sitting in the pocket well of the car. Often you can remove the belt and pull it completely outward… when you do this you’ll usually find rust in the retractor. If you play with this and lubricate the retractor (off the webbing), You can usually free them up.

Ironically, we have a 76 in the shop right now that has the same issue… I worked with the belts for about 1 hour and got them freed up…. While the belts don’t look all that great, after pulling the retractor outward, letting them retract… working them in and outward and then lubing them up…. Well a ton or rust fell out of them and the pivot looked horrible… but eventually they began to work again.
The following users liked this post:
79 C3 (05-30-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 01:56 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Last edited by LT1M21Vette; 06-02-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Claudio Silvreti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The belts on these cars are susceptible to corrosion just from sitting in the pocket well of the car. Often you can remove the belt and pull it completely outward… when you do this you’ll usually find rust in the retractor. If you play with this and lubricate the retractor (off the webbing), You can usually free them up.

Ironically, we have a 76 in the shop right now that has the same issue… I worked with the belts for about 1 hour and got them freed up…. While the belts don’t look all that great, after pulling the retractor outward, letting them retract… working them in and outward and then lubing them up…. Well a ton or rust fell out of them and the pivot looked horrible… but eventually they began to work again.

Thank you for your advice, I cleaned the system, now the seat belts are retrackting normal. Best regards, Claudio
Old 06-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Claudio Silvreti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette

Thank you for your advice, I cleaned the system, now the seat belts are retrackting normal. Best regards, Claudio
Old 06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Claudio Silvreti
unfortunately on the 1976 cars the lower belt retractor was under the seat. When you have a water leak the center pivot on the retractor will rust up and actually get into the webbing of the seat belt. If you pull the webbing all the way out, you can usually clean the webbing and also remove any rust particles that are on the center pivot assembly. Next time I'll do a video on how we get these working.

Another trick is to use RIT dye to re-dye the belt color. You might have to play with the coloring for a long time to get the correct color but once you have the right color you basically boil the belts in the dye. (Like doing tye dye t-shirts in the 70's). The 76 we just fixed needs this done badly, the red on the belts looks horrible but the customer elected to wait until a later date.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belts problem

Quick Reply: Seat belts problem