C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Radiator Fan Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Cricket2008
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '79 Radiator Fan Position

I have a '79 L-48, all original, with a 7-blade radiator fan. At the top of each blade, one of the "corners" is diagonally cut off. After a recent fan clutch and water pump change out (yes, I'm chasing an over heating problem), I forgot which way the fan should be positioned. During rotation, should the cut corner edge of the blades be on the leading edge or the trailing edge, or does it matter?
Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,611 Posts

concave shape of the blades towards the engine
Old 05-29-2018, 05:01 PM
rebel542
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased a 79 L82 4 SPD car in 89 and had an overheat problem. Turns out the front spoiler was missing, at least the middle where it counts. After replacing everything you did I replaced the spoiler and fixed the problem. I did put a 160* thermostat in it also.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Get a reproduction spoiler extension:

Old 05-31-2018, 01:56 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel542
I purchased a 79 L82 4 SPD car in 89 and had an overheat problem. Turns out the front spoiler was missing, at least the middle where it counts. After replacing everything you did I replaced the spoiler and fixed the problem. I did put a 160* thermostat in it also.
Hope this helps.
Ditto this -

The dealer never put the spoiler extension on my '80 when it was new. Years later I figured out that they had banged a steel tab that was in front of the bumper extension that the spoiler mounted to. This bent the underneath of the bumper back so the spoiler extension wouldn't fit. As I recall, I learned the spoilers were shipped to dealers with the car but not mounted so they didn't get torn off loading and unloading on the car carriers. Apparently my dealer felt it was too much trouble to fix the damage underneath and being young and thrilled to get the car, I didn't notice for a couple years the extension was missing. I finally guilted Chevy into sending me one for free and after fixing the damage to the bumper I installed it. It dropped the running temp by at least 20 F.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

A 1979 all original car ....so I assume that the radiator is still the original one???

Unless service work has been done to it recently..I think that part of your problem can be in the radiator....or the seal that seal it to the radiator support or the seals that seal the radiator support to the under side of the hood.

YES..a previously mentioned and shown. A lower front bumper extension is needed.

Also..it may seem crazy...but getting a hold of a coolant pressure tester is WISE. I have one and I use it anytime I remove a hose or have any issue on a car that has a coolant system problem. Assuming that the system is sealed up is not wise. KNOW that it can hold pressure. I also have the adapter that allows me to check the radiator cap...and I can not tell you on how many cars that have bad radiator cap...and I do not care if it is a brand new cap.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To '79 Radiator Fan Position

Quick Reply: '79 Radiator Fan Position