C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choke question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:15 PM
pauls71stingray
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default choke question

This is such a simple system that I'm embarrassed to have to ask this. I had my carb rebuilt by Lars, so I'm sure it's right. After reinstalling the carb I found that there is no choke. Ok, so I order a replacement choke t-stat and install it. No change! I found that I have to bend the choke rod beyond 90 degrees to get the plates to close. If I'm understanding this correctly the spring pulls the linkage down and unwinds as it warms up? This is reverse to what I expected.

I'm I on the right track or should I just buy a bicycle and park the car?

TIA Paul
Old 06-03-2018, 06:19 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

The choke coil and rod, when cold, pulls downwards on the choke lever, and will fully close the choke until the choke pulloff cracks the choke open upon engine start. As the coil warms up, the rod is pushed upwards, opening the choke. The rod and the choke are not part of the carb - they are part of the intake manifold, and they must be correctly adjusted per the process outlined in the Shop Manual in order for the choke to work. Your carb was tested and verified with the choke system, the fast idle, cold choke-on air/fuel mixture, and choke pulloff. All aspects of your choke system are working perfectly, but it cannot operate without the choke coil and rod properly functioning and set up. There was likely an issue with your choke coil and linkage before you sent me the carb, since somebody had cut off and disabled the choke pulloff spring in order to force the choke to open without your choke coil operating correctly.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 06-03-2018 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lars:
doorgunner (06-03-2018), pauls71stingray (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:09 PM
pauls71stingray
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
The choke coil and rod, when cold, pulls downwards on the choke lever, and will fully close the choke until the choke pulloff cracks the choke open upon engine start. As the coil warms up, the rod is pushed upwards, opening the choke. The rod and the choke are not part of the carb - they are part of the intake manifold, and they must be correctly adjusted per the process outlined in the Shop Manual in order for the choke to work. Your carb was tested and verified with the choke system, the fast idle, cold choke-on air/fuel mixture, and choke pulloff. All aspects of your choke system are working perfectly, but it cannot operate without the choke coil and rod properly functioning and set up. There was likely an issue with your choke coil and linkage before you sent me the carb, since somebody had cut off and disabled the choke pulloff spring in order to force the choke to open without your choke coil operating correctly.
Lars
Lars, thanks for the clarification. I was not implying that you had anything to do with my choke not working. I know from our discussions that someone messed with the carb before I got it.

I understand that the choke t-stat and rod aren't part of the carb itself. I was just confused as I thought that the system worked in reverse of what it actually does.

Thanks again! Paul
Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

If you crack your throttle open slightly, you can use your finger to move the lever at the choke rod attach hole up and down - you can see the choke move through its full range and see what direction the rod must move in order to actuate the choke in both directions. The only Q-Jet choke that works opposite is the 1968 427 Q-Jet, which closes the choke when the rod moves up, and opens it as the rods pulls down. Holley is also opposite of the Q-Jet.

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To choke question

Quick Reply: choke question