C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line sealant - help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 PM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fuel line sealant - help please

I installed a new fuel line to carburetor on a '71 LT-1, and gas is leaking from the metal block where the line splits into two to connect to the carburetor. It's leaking from the fittings that screw into the block. I have them as tight as i can get them, have made sure the flange is properly lined up, and even tried putting some "seal-all" silicone thread sealant on the threads....and no matter what i do it leaks. Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end. This should be simple. Is there a better sealant i can use or other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Those are inverted flare connections - they don't seal on the threads, so you can't use a thread sealant. Use an assembly lube or grease on the threads and on the back sides of the flare where the flarenut rides against the flare. This will assure your ability to achieve proper torque before the fittings stop tightening due to galling.

Lars
The following 2 users liked this post by lars:
doorgunner (06-15-2018), pwsusi (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,127 Likes on 731 Posts

You can get these washers in various soft metals, aluminum, copper that will crush a bit and form a better seal.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-24328

I don't know why they are listed under o-rings.. Careful alignment is critical as you assemble things. I hold the flared end against the fitting with one hand so I know it will seat squarely and with my other, tighten the nut finger tight so the connection will stay in place until I can get a wrench on it.

Last edited by ignatz; 06-15-2018 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pwsusi (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:28 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

plumbing supply stores sell those too
pwsusi (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:33 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Those are inverted flare connections - they don't seal on the threads, so you can't use a thread sealant. Use an assembly lube or grease on the threads and on the back sides of the flare where the flarenut rides against the flare. This will assure your ability to achieve proper torque before the fittings stop tightening due to galling.

Lars
pwsusi (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. it took a few tries on and off, but i THINK it's holding now and no leaks. I started with the engine assembly lube and then some grease when i continued to have trouble and it seems to be good. Appreciate the help.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, I wouldn’t drive your car until you are 100% positive the fuel fittings don’t leak. I had a car that used 13 of those and they were a bear to get right. Leaking fuel lines = fire = destroyed car.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:00 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 832 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
You can get these washers in various soft metals, aluminum, copper that will crush a bit and form a better seal.

I don't know why they are listed under o-rings.. Careful alignment is critical as you assemble things. I hold the flared end against the fitting with one hand so I know it will seat squarely and with my other, tighten the nut finger tight so the connection will stay in place until I can get a wrench on it.
I've been using these for years, on those connections, no leaks.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz

Holy Crap, is that for a box of 25 or something?

But seriously, I have used the same type of copper washer to stop a perpetual drip on a stainless steel fuel line that just wouldn't stop weeping at the pump. Handy to have a handful of different sizes in the toolbox.

But more seriously, I'm seeing summit listing this at $8 usd, that's insane...
M
Old 06-16-2018, 08:52 AM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mooser
Holy Crap, is that for a box of 25 or something?

But seriously, I have used the same type of copper washer to stop a perpetual drip on a stainless steel fuel line that just wouldn't stop weeping at the pump. Handy to have a handful of different sizes in the toolbox.

But more seriously, I'm seeing summit listing this at $8 usd, that's insane...
M
stupid question but which way would these go in? would the narrow side go into the metal block and wide side on the flared fuel line, or vice versa?
Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Mooser
Race Director

They follow the same angles as the flare on the fitting, just act as a softer surface that will form to a slightly flawed mating taper

The really good ones (flaretite etc) have a shoulder that holds them onto the male part of the fitting, the cheaper only taper ones you sometimes need to put a spot of grease or something to hold them in place until you can assemble the joint or they slip part way off and get screwed up
M

Last edited by Mooser; 06-16-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

They're also referred to as "flare savers" in the aerospace industry. They are intended for use on AN-type 37-degree flared fittings. They are not intended for use on inverted flares. On inverted flare connections, lube it up well and make sure that the conical sealing feature in the female part of the connection has not been marred ("eyebrowed") by previous misalignment and over-torque. If the fitting has a mark on the sealing surface it will leak. If the sealing surfaces are in good condition, if tube alignment is good, and if the connection is lubricated upon assembly, it will seal.

Lars
Old 06-16-2018, 12:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

But I couldn't find a picture of the 45 degree A/C washers installed

I turned to them as a last resort on my pump/stainless line that just wouldn't stop weeping even after multiple re-tightening / cleaning / re-shaping / cursing. (Carb end of the line is all AN fittings)

M
Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM
68notray
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

BTW there is no sealant I know of that can be used on a fuel system. The gas dissolves pretty much anything in a tube...
Old 06-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Kris_K
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 68notray
BTW there is no sealant I know of that can be used on a fuel system. The gas dissolves pretty much anything in a tube...
This stuff works great for fuel lines.

https://www.google.com/search?q=e85+...X5jCbIQgjYIjwQ

Last edited by Kris_K; 06-17-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel line sealant - help please

Quick Reply: Fuel line sealant - help please