C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left side Right Side Designation

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:38 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Left side Right Side Designation

When designating the right side or left side door are you sitting in the car looking forward or standing in front of the car looking to the rear. I ordered a driver's side left door power window motor from E-bay and received the opposite side motor. I call Echlers and they told me the driver's side is the left side. Strangely enough the motor I received has a large L inscribed on the cover plate.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:48 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

I've always said the drivers side is the left side.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

always sitting in the left drivers seat looking forward,but only in America
Old 06-16-2018, 06:19 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
always sitting in the left drivers seat looking forward,but only in America
Sitting in the vehicle looking forward, but its not just in America. Left side is left, right side is right everywhere!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 06:31 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

As noted, left and right parts are as seen sitting in the vehicle facing forward. Additionally, when there are parts that are installed in pairs on the left and right side of the car, the part number for the part on the left is an odd part number, and the part on the right is an even part number. Parts that are not mounted in pairs, or which are not uniquely left or right, can have part numbers that are either odd or even. This makes it very easy, for example, to tell if an exhaust manifold is a left or a right side manifold.

Lars
The following users liked this post:
LenWoodruff (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

I think there are a few exceptions. Window motors for a C3 use the left motor for the right door and right motor for the left door. I think the door pulls are the same, left for right, right for left.
I believe the same parts where used on the C2 and then reused on the C3 but had to be reversed.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:39 PM
C3FIXER
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wabco40
I think there are a few exceptions. Window motors for a C3 use the left motor for the right door and right motor for the left door. I think the door pulls are the same, left for right, right for left.
I believe the same parts where used on the C2 and then reused on the C3 but had to be reversed.
So how is one to know when ordering these motors. I spoke with an Ecklers rep and he agreed the drivers side door is the left door so one would order the left side motor. The motor I received from E-Bay had a large L inscribed on the metal side plate, but found it was for the passenger right side door. You would think that somebody would have re-designated these motors as driver side and passenger side so to eliminate confusion. And the beat goes on!!!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by C3FIXER
So how is one to know when ordering these motors. I spoke with an Ecklers rep and he agreed the drivers side door is the left door so one would order the left side motor. The motor I received from E-Bay had a large L inscribed on the metal side plate, but found it was for the passenger right side door. You would think that somebody would have re-designated these motors as driver side and passenger side so to eliminate confusion. And the beat goes on!!!!!

Yes, when I'm talking or writing about cars I always use the terminology "passenger side" and "driver side" to avoid the potential confusion.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by wabco40

That be the truth. Early C3's used the C2 drivers side motor on the passenger door, and vice versa.

Get notified of new replies

To Left side Right Side Designation

Quick Reply: Left side Right Side Designation