C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 12:03 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacement Radiator

I had to replace the radiator support on my 75 because it was really rusted bad. Taking out the radiator and shroud to get the support out was a royal pain - the first time.

Took the radiator and had it repaired - my bad. I have a new leak and there is no way I'm going to repair the original again.

During reassembly the hard part (for me) was replacing the bottom radiator hose.

So round two begins. Since I'm going to be replacing the radiator, I was wondering what "aftermarket" would be the best "fit" for my 75?

BTW - I also added Vintage Air when I replace the support, so I'm hoping the front A/C condenser will hang in there so I don't need to evac the A/C system. The Vintage system is COLD COLD COLD.

Thanks for any leads on the radiator.

Last edited by lsintampa; 09-11-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:09 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

i had too many beers while replacing all my rad hoses and crushed the intake nipple on my oem rad (81) i bought a aluminum rad from champion auto (o'rieleys) and it dropped right in and worked perfectly, i did use the old rad hose cut into strips to line the bottom as a cushion becaue the oem seals were disintegrating and i didn't want to go back to the parts store. but i would def get the seals if oem or ncrs is a consideration.

also i did not have to change anything other then rad and rad lines. the replacement dropped tight in and i didn't have to remove the hood, however get an assistant to help u pull and place the rad as its almsot impossible to work around the hood and get the rad to remove and reinstall evenly

Last edited by sambrand; 09-11-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added text
Old 09-11-2018, 12:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You want to order a radiator that would be for a 1975 car with A/C, so that it has enough capacity for your engine, A/C (and auto trans, if that's what you have). If you go with Champion, you will need a 3 or 4 row radiator (rather than a 2-row for a non-air car).
Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Dewitts is a favorite here on the forum and my research shows they are top quality and a direct fit for a C3.
Griffin also makes a top quality radiator for our C3's and I've heard nothing but good reviews from racers and hot rod guys.
Both are available with electric fan set ups and shrouds and can be used with the OEM fan set up.
Both are a bit pricey but if you don't want to do this again soon, stick with quality.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:51 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Dewitts is a favorite here on the forum and my research shows they are top quality and a direct fit for a C3.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

there is a sort-of cut out on the right side of the rad support the 2 hoses go to the AC condenser. indent not cut out. so you can lift rad support up and down with connected hoses riding along.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
lsintampa
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
there is a sort-of cut out on the right side of the rad support the 2 hoses go to the AC condenser. indent not cut out. so you can lift rad support up and down with connected hoses riding along.

Was able to get the radiator out without removing condenser from the A/C. Thanks!

So looking at champion, dewitts, and griffin as replacements, which is the best fit? It's hard enough to get the thing in or out, and the last thing I want is to make it more complicated than it is by needing to make modifications.

ALSO, has anyone mounted the radiator to the support and put them both in together????

Seems silly, but it may be easier to do???
Old 09-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by lsintampa
Was able to get the radiator out without removing condenser from the A/C. Thanks!

So looking at champion, dewitts, and griffin as replacements, which is the best fit? It's hard enough to get the thing in or out, and the last thing I want is to make it more complicated than it is by needing to make modifications.

ALSO, has anyone mounted the radiator to the support and put them both in together????

Seems silly, but it may be easier to do???
The DeWitt's is a direct replacement "drop in" radiator that fits perfectly. No finagling required. I speak from experience having been there, done that on my early 1976...which is exactly the same radiator as yours. Done once and done for good!!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

One more vote for Dewiit’s. I replaced the original radiator in my 69 with one of their direct fits and it was perfect. You’re 100% correct in the it is a difficult enough job without having to fight with an ill fitting radiator.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Dewitts radiators are works of art. I would have no other.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:31 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Another vote for Dewitt’s. Mine fit perfect in my late 77’.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Thank you guys!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:36 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Mount the radiator support then the radiator. I proudly display the Dewitts sticker on top of my radiator. T
Old 09-16-2018, 08:19 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sambrand
i had too many beers while replacing all my rad hoses and crushed the intake nipple on my oem rad (81) i bought a aluminum rad from champion auto (o'rieleys) and it dropped right in and worked perfectly, i did use the old rad hose cut into strips to line the bottom as a cushion becaue the oem seals were disintegrating and i didn't want to go back to the parts store. but i would def get the seals if oem or ncrs is a consideration.

also i did not have to change anything other then rad and rad lines. the replacement dropped tight in and i didn't have to remove the hood, however get an assistant to help u pull and place the rad as its almsot impossible to work around the hood and get the rad to remove and reinstall evenly
I damaged the lower inlet back in 2013 and bent it so it was leaking. $100 repair this spring included a pressure test. Nobody wants to recore radiators anymore with all of the EPA crap. Those acid tanks have all been drained locally save for one shop.

I found having the shroud in place really helped slide the radiator in. I lowered it in with the passenger side down a bit to clear the A-arm. Big lesson was the lower hose at radiator... I royally scraped my left wrist on the trans line clamps. Big lesson was to do the trans lines last. I just had to loosen the shroud so it was AWAY from the radiator at base (gave some wrench clearance). It is all a tight fit in there. I reused the seals I had installed from Dr Rebuild. I'm not an NCRS rebuild but his product is top shelf quality/durability.

Interesting, I bought a replacement and did not realize it was one of the aluminum/plastic jobs. It is sitting in its box on a shelf in my garage in event the brass/copper radiator I am running now finally gives up and I can't have re-cored.

Last edited by TedH; 09-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:36 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

I put the support ,,radiator and lower hose on all in one shot ,, hate to say it but it was kinda easy
The following 2 users liked this post by forman:
mrvette (09-16-2018), Stewart's74 (08-24-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Radiator

Quick Reply: Replacement Radiator