C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console hell

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Habervette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Console hell

I'm restoring the console on my 1978 pace car edition. Everything came off ok but when I try and install the new upper console trim panel it overlaps the parking brake console by 1/2". I've tried wedging it in but it will break I'm sure. Any experience/ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:21 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Pics might help.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Habervette
Heel & Toe

Yes good idea. After wrestling with it for a couple more hours I managed to get it together except for a few screws that the holes weren’t even close. Love the car but as I’m sure you’ve experienced too the poor engineering is maddening!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:38 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I had to loosen every screw from the brake console to the wiper switch and only with a lot of jiggling and wiggling did I finally get everything lined up to tighten the screws. Dread having to take it apart in the future
Old 10-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Habervette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pltmgr
I had to loosen every screw from the brake console to the wiper switch and only with a lot of jiggling and wiggling did I finally get everything lined up to tighten the screws. Dread having to take it apart in the future
I was thinking the same thing about taking it apart again. I'm planning on a major interior restoration at some point. Thanks for the tip on keeping things loose until everything lines up.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:05 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

I've removed and replaced the entire console and gauge pack in my '79 numerous times now and discovered that order of disassembly and reassembly is of PRIME importance to get a proper fit and greatly reduce the possibility of damage.

The order of removal is:

1) Seats. This is not absolutely necessary but it takes little time and makes everything that follows FAR easier and more comfortable!!!

2) Carpeted console sides

3) Parking brake cover

4) HVAC/shifter/power window plate. No need to completely remove but remove all fasteners and push it towards the rear of the car.

5) The radio (if one of the big heavy originals, especially with CB.

6) The gauge pack.

Replace in reverse order. It takes considerable pressure to push the HVAC/shifter plate forward as the one-piece dash wants to push it back. A helper for a couple minutes makes this MUCH easier and this is also when you will most appreciate having removed the seats.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 10-17-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Habervette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
I've removed and replaced the entire console and gauge pack in my '79 numerous times now and discovered that order of disassembly and reassembly is of PRIME importance to get a proper fit and greatly reduce the possibility of damage.

The order of removal is:

1) Seat. This is not absolutely necessary but it takes little time and makes everything that follows FAR easier and more comfortable!!!

2) Carpeted console sides

3) Parking brake cover

4) HVAC/shifter/power window plate. No need to completely remove but remove all fasteners and push it towards the rear of the car.

5) The radio (if one of the big heavy originals, especially with CB.

6) The gauge pack.

Replace in reverse order. It takes considerable pressure to push the HVAC/shifter plate forward as the one-piece dash wants to push it back. A helper for a couple minutes makes this MUCH easier and this is also when you will most appreciate having removed the seats.
Thanks man! I'm going to put this in my C3 file!

Get notified of new replies

To Console hell

Quick Reply: Console hell