C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock XT Sequential Port Injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Edelbrock XT Sequential Port Injection

So, while I wait for parts to get here to finish suspension and misc stuff in interior, I thought I’d share my latest part on the way. I am familiar with efi, but this peaked my interest enough to give it a go. I’ll post up some pics as I get into it. I couldn’t find much of anyone posting about this style.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Is this their new system? I just saw something on this today.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Yes. They say the Pro-flow 3 has been out for a long time and the 4 is just upgraded. But I could find virtually nothing online for actual users
The following users liked this post:
Gordonm (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:19 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Looking fwd to reading your review. Like you I have only read a few actual purchaser impressions.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:27 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Will that fit under a stock hood ?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:02 AM
BobRiley
Advanced

Well see. Lol. I found one image online where a guy set it side by side a carb setup and it was lower than the top of the carb air cleaner by 2”. But the front hood angle is only concern.well see soon.
DorianC3 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd really like to hear how it performs for you and see some pictures of how it looks once you get it installed.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRiley
Well see. Lol. I found one image online where a guy set it side by side a carb setup and it was lower than the top of the carb air cleaner by 2”. But the front hood angle is only concern.well see soon.
Thanks - please keep us posted. I definitely would be interested in doing that conversion.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Supposably I will have it Thursday, so I may get started Thurs on it. For sure have pics by weekend. I know side by side and clearances are a big deal to you guys as it was for me.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:20 AM
oldguy
Intermediate

Default Xt+ efi

I have run XT+ for couple years. Over-all it's a good system but,as in my case, ANY older EFI will have some kinks and wiggles. Newer systems, Pro-Flo 3 & 4 have improved self-learning
and controls- screens etc. I can't talk about PF 3 & 4 much because I have never had my own two grubby hands on them. However, my old by now obsolete XT+ has all the BASIC stuff
the same or close to it as the newer models.

Some small kinks I had to work around were mostly due to my own particular installation. Be aware that the ports are reeeeally small and if you have better heads you may want
consider port matching. I have AFR 195 race heads and I had a HUGE pile of chips when I got done. The throttle cable took a little red-neck engineering but not too bad. I have a BTO 2004R
trans. and had to send the throttle body back to BTO for them weld on their fancy trans hook-up gizmo. Absolute necessity IMO. May be another way to do it, but this thing is SLICK!!!

I would assume you will do the fuel by the book. Can't say much here, as I have gone completely bass-akwards. It even confuses me.

As for operation, see the dyno sheet. I don't have any real good pics but might be able to get some.

I will answer questions anyone has best I can if I have some direct hands-on experience.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:35 AM
ZEN357
Racer

Originally Posted by oldguy
I have run XT+ for couple years. Over-all it's a good system but,as in my case, ANY older EFI will have some kinks and wiggles. Newer systems, Pro-Flo 3 & 4 have improved self-learning
and controls- screens etc. I can't talk about PF 3 & 4 much because I have never had my own two grubby hands on them. However, my old by now obsolete XT+ has all the BASIC stuff
the same or close to it as the newer models.

Some small kinks I had to work around were mostly due to my own particular installation. Be aware that the ports are reeeeally small and if you have better heads you may want
consider port matching. I have AFR 195 race heads and I had a HUGE pile of chips when I got done. The throttle cable took a little red-neck engineering but not too bad. I have a BTO 2004R
trans. and had to send the throttle body back to BTO for them weld on their fancy trans hook-up gizmo. Absolute necessity IMO. May be another way to do it, but this thing is SLICK!!!

I would assume you will do the fuel by the book. Can't say much here, as I have gone completely bass-akwards. It even confuses me.

As for operation, see the dyno sheet. I don't have any real good pics but might be able to get some.

I will answer questions anyone has best I can if I have some direct hands-on experience.

Looks like it performs well for you. How do you really like it over an old carb setup?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

What size injectors did you get with your system?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 AM
oldguy
Intermediate

Default Xt+ efi

What size injectors did you get with your system?
I am running 35# inj. But I have to run at least 50# fuel pressure to keep inj. at 85-90%. The new Pro-Flo XT 4 runs at 29# 0r 35#inj.@. 58# Edelbrock claims 450 - 550 HP. I don't know how they rate
the NEW 35# inj. probably AT 58lbs/hr. My 35# are rated at 3 BAR (43.5 lbs/hr). so need more pressure to keep up. Math. showed 35# at 3 BAR to be marginal. In fact we could not get AFR below 13.1
above 4000 rpm until we bumped pressure up. 13.1 Is OK if every thing stays perfect but needs more headroom I think.
It all depends on your HP.
I did not buy a complete system. Bits and pieces here and there. Boy!!! Saved almost $10-15 that way. Never said I was very smart. Actually, had a lot of edel. inj junk from 15 years playing with
EFI. Just didn't work out like I wanted it to. But it does work. And very well,I might add.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:24 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I am running 35# inj. But I have to run at least 50# fuel pressure to keep inj. at 85-90%. The new Pro-Flo XT 4 runs at 29# 0r 35#inj.@. 58# Edelbrock claims 450 - 550 HP. I don't know how they rate
the NEW 35# inj. probably AT 58lbs/hr. My 35# are rated at 3 BAR (43.5 lbs/hr). so need more pressure to keep up. Math. showed 35# at 3 BAR to be marginal. In fact we could not get AFR below 13.1
above 4000 rpm until we bumped pressure up. 13.1 Is OK if every thing stays perfect but needs more headroom I think.
It all depends on your HP.
I did not buy a complete system. Bits and pieces here and there. Boy!!! Saved almost $10-15 that way. Never said I was very smart. Actually, had a lot of edel. inj junk from 15 years playing with
EFI. Just didn't work out like I wanted it to. But it does work. And very well,I might add.
"OG", I like the flat TQ curve,(not a curve it's so flat). What is your cubic inch, cam duration and cam's LS ? I'm guessing this type of FI is more adjustable to compensate for using narrower cam lobe separation angles ? Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 AM
oldguy
Intermediate

"looks like it performs well for you. How do you really like it over an old carb setup?"

Hard to say. Haven't owned a Vette with a carb since1963
The 82 had Crossfire Injection when I got it in 94 and has had Edel EFI of one flavor or another since 2003.
I will say,and the consensus seems to be , that EFI is better than carb. Starts better, gas mileage,etc. Possibly more power, but that would depend on how well you had the carb tuned and
what you have for intake manifold. A complete system almost certainly will come with a high performance intake that is "better" than stock. I believe Edelbrock claimed the XT was good for 20 HP.
I have no way to verify that since this motor has never run anything to compare it to. It does run well but it's not stock. Any thing else feel free
Old 01-10-2019, 10:57 AM
oldguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 68post
"OG", I like the flat TQ curve,(not a curve it's so flat). What is your cubic inch, cam duration and cam's LS ? I'm guessing this type of FI is more adjustable to compensate for using narrower cam lobe separation angles ? Thanks
|
}+

Heads will now exlode because " YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!" What we have here is your basic tow-truck engine. Wasn't meant to be but it is what it is. From the ashes......

Un-decked Dart 400 block 4.155
Scat 3.8 crank and 6.0"rods
Mahle -16cc pistons
60cc AFR 195 race heads itty bitty Clay Smith cam 221-223 .544 .525 108 LC straight up IC 64
Kooks 1 3/4 headers 3" exhaust w/crossover
412.2** CI 10.98 comp
heads explode in 3-2-1 -- 8.83 DCR 32 degs advance no det that we can hear. I guess time will tell.
port matched Pro-Flo XT 35lb/hr inj run @ 50psi XT Plus ECU (way more bells and whistles than I need)
We considered more cam but didn't think 195 heads would handle much more. It does seem to have adequate torque.
68post (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Cool ! I like it, and would do the same.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock XT Sequential Port Injection

Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM
BobRiley
Advanced

Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 PM
ivanh3
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Will be following for sure. I was going to go with a Holley Sniper, but I changed my mind and decided on the Pro-Flo 4. Was wondering about the XT style and hood clearance. I have also read thermostat housing height is a consideration for XT. Can't wait to see how it works out for you.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM
ZEN357
Racer

"looks like it performs well for you. How do you really like it over an old carb setup?"

Hard to say. Haven't owned a Vette with a carb since1963
The 82 had Crossfire Injection when I got it in 94 and has had Edel EFI of one flavor or another since 2003.
I will say,and the consensus seems to be , that EFI is better than carb. Starts better, gas mileage,etc. Possibly more power, but that would depend on how well you had the carb tuned and
what you have for intake manifold. A complete system almost certainly will come with a high performance intake that is "better" than stock. I believe Edelbrock claimed the XT was good for 20 HP.
I have no way to verify that since this motor has never run anything to compare it to. It does run well but it's not stock. Any thing else feel free
I have been looking at the Holley Sniper EFI system. If I make the conversion I want to change out the gas tank with one their stainless steel models with everything ready for the system.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock XT Sequential Port Injection