C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailing arm bolt surgery

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default trailing arm bolt surgery

While I had the differential, exhaust, axles and other stuff removed from my 68 convert to work on the differential, I decided to do the one job I have been putting off for two years. The bolt for the right rear trailing arm was seized in the bushing and could not be removed to get the old style alignment shims out to adjust the toe in/toe out. So with considerable swearing- mostly at my shop light and its inability to show where my sawzall was cutting- I cut the bolt out. The photo shows how to destroy a carbide blade. Because you can only use about two inches on the blade due to the location of the bolt, I got extra use by cutting off the tip of the blade when it got dull, so I could use some fresh sharp teeth. New TA bushings are on order, stainless steel pivot bolt and shims have been sitting on my shelf for about two years from when I did the left side, which was not seized. Think I will have a beer.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Think I will have a beer.
After reading that I think you may need a 2nd
Old 02-05-2019, 12:28 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice job. How did you cut the sawsall blade, cut off wheel?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:42 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19
Default TA bolt

After having done the same this past Sunday, I can relate.
Good luck with your project.
Eddy
Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

The trailing arm removal has been my least favorite job while working on a C3.

Both of mine took a total of about four hours.

The neighbor's kids learned some new words that day.

Craig
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I must be lucky. I did mine in December. The nut came right off and using a drift and hammer I tapped the bolt out. In all fairness it had been redone about 18 years ago but still had residue of anti-seize on it. After all the posts I have read about this job I was expecting it to be a huge challenge.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:04 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

I guess the moral of this story is use anti-seize.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
I put the blade in a vice and snapped the end off with pliers.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
My grinder and cut-off wheel cut almost anything!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:35 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

flyeri- "The nut came right off and using a drift and hammer I tapped the bolt out." I spent hours on several occasions trying to drive the bolt out. I taped and padded the edge of the fender so I would not damage it and fabricated a steel drive bar to hit the bolt with a nut in place to protect the threads. As you know, it is not a straight shot, so some of the force, even from my 10 lb sledge would not break it free. When I got everything out, I was expecting massive rust, but there was only rust on about 1/2 inch of the bolt on both sides of the steel bushing insert and end cap. The rubber must absorb enough impact so it won't break free. Anyway, now it's done and a stainless bolt will outlast me.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
flyeri- "The nut came right off and using a drift and hammer I tapped the bolt out." I spent hours on several occasions trying to drive the bolt out. I taped and padded the edge of the fender so I would not damage it and fabricated a steel drive bar to hit the bolt with a nut in place to protect the threads. As you know, it is not a straight shot, so some of the force, even from my 10 lb sledge would not break it free. When I got everything out, I was expecting massive rust, but there was only rust on about 1/2 inch of the bolt on both sides of the steel bushing insert and end cap. The rubber must absorb enough impact so it won't break free. Anyway, now it's done and a stainless bolt will outlast me.
YEP I was lucky. I would have threatened to sell it at least 10 times if I had half much trouble.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can say that the job you just did on the Corvettes that have the early design of shims that cannot pull out is one of the jobs that ranks very high on my list of jobs that I dread to do.

I commend you on your determination on doing it the way you did due to I know I would not have done it that way.

Glad that you have it done and just do not forget to correctly drill the hole in your frame so the long cotter pin can retain your slotted shims when you finish up the alignment.

Do not be fooled where you need to drill the hole due to the length of the cotter pin only allows it to go in one area....and I use a foot ling drill bit when I have to drill this hole when the body is on the frame so I can bend the drill bit a little bit to get it to drill where I want it and not creep all over the place. Then I have another foot long drill bit I cut down so I can drill through that hole and through the other side.

DUB
Old 02-05-2019, 11:16 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

DUB- fortunately I have one of those monster bits. I think I got it years ago for drilling thru partitions in a house.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM
vince vette 2
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Had to cut through mine late last year. Was a good excuse to finally buy a sawzall, cordless, and due to a great deal at Lowes, for just $50 more I got a cordess driver and hammer drill and a another battery. Spent $15 on one blade, but it never dented the bolts. Spent $15 more on a diablo and it did the job. Had to cut through the shims and bolt, but still couldn't move the TA enough to one side to clear the remaining bolt length. So had to cut off the tip of the bolt too. But now with a clear shot that was easy. Under 2 minutes - hell of blade - basically cut through 2 sets of shims and 4 cuts through the bolts and was still going.

Have fun from here.

Get notified of new replies

To trailing arm bolt surgery

Quick Reply: trailing arm bolt surgery