C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommend a 200R4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 354 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Averystingray75
i built my own 200-4R 3 years ago using the advice of http://www.ckperformance.com/
I chose them from reading hundreds of threads, my transmission is awesome
I know you are looking for an already built transmission,
so I only bring this up to say please look into what he has done to “beef” up the 200-4 specifically the billet drum among other things when buying a new 200-4 whoever you buy from make sure it has that otherwise it will have the same problems again,
i found when learning about these transmission a LOT of companies advertise “500+” HP
but after I hand built mine and learned everything I could, when you actually read what they do it isn’t enough to handle that kind of power.
you do not want to buy a 200-4R without the proper upgrades installed if you make 400+ hp you are at a threshold where key components must be upgraded to ensure longevity.
My first choice would be CK, they seemed to have trouble with speedy shipping and communication, but the experience and reliability is well worth the hassle.
I went nearly the same route as Avery, except I went with Bruce Toelle from PTS Xtreme. I believe he retired.

I have used parts from CK... as well as their handbook (excellent BTW)... and have also had trouble with their shipping and communication. But as Avery said... their experience and reliability is well worth the hassle.

I did not find re-building the 200-4R myself terribly difficult. (You could use the core you have.) There is a step by step video available that is pure gold.

Talk to CK - get the right parts and yer on your way.

My 200-4R still lives happily behind at blown 400SBC making quite a bit more than 500HP

Quick Reply: Recommend a 200R4