C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Red Hot 71
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MSD Ignition

Have a 71 Corvette w/MSD ignition. Just finished header side pipe install & while checking out exhaust sound, revved motor a couple of times for tone & engine just quit. I do not appear to have any spark. Can an MSD box just die? I did not run the car long enough to build up any kind of heat. Looking for recommendations on where to start. That MSD 6A box is pretty pricey to just parts change. Any help would be appreciated as warm weather is upon us here in NC.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:55 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hot 71
Have a 71 Corvette w/MSD ignition. Just finished header side pipe install & while checking out exhaust sound, revved motor a couple of times for tone & engine just quit. I do not appear to have any spark. Can an MSD box just die? I did not run the car long enough to build up any kind of heat. Looking for recommendations on where to start. That MSD 6A box is pretty pricey to just parts change. Any help would be appreciated as warm weather is upon us here in NC.
Yes, they can just die. I have tester here.
I suggest going to MSD.com, and look up their trouble shooting tech papers.
It can be either the coil or the box or even both.
Then call MSD and raise some...........................
The following users liked this post:
Red Hot 71 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:49 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

My MSD failed on me too, did not last long and too boot I put it under the dash, not in the engine heat....

my only operational comment is that it made no difference compared to a stock HEI......
Old 03-15-2019, 11:49 PM
cabman72
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Is the red light on the MSD box lit when the key is on. Maybe the red "hot" wire has a loose connection or maybe a blown fuse.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Red Hot 71
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. Wire going to the distributer was loose. Must have been from vibration. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Ignition

Quick Reply: MSD Ignition