Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Power windows

Old 03-25-2019, 06:35 PM
Doeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power windows

Have an 81 corvette both windows stop working have power to one side of circut breaker power to one wire on relay and no power to switches and all are new any suggestions
Old 03-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'd follow the above instructions just knowing that you don't have the same relay. Here is the actual circuit below... and it'll help you a bit more. You need to see if there is deflection in the amp gauge before you tear something apart. If there is the issue is probably in the gearing or the motors. If you do have deflection in the amp gauge then you need to go to the motor. If you don't then I'd follow the schematic below and figure out the issue.

Willcox

The following users liked this post:
PainfullySlow (04-08-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Doeman

Default 1981 power windows

[QUOTE=Doeman;1599108303]Have an 81 corvette both windows stop working
Gonna try what you suggested thanks somone disconnected theft deterent and power locks donít work anything to do with windows just wanted to throw this in
Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM
Doeman

Default 81 power windows

so i only have power to one side of circut breaker and I put a new horn relay in and with ignition off relay is hot there is power on middle wire but hot to touch any suggestions
Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Received 831 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Doeman View Post
so i only have power to one side of circut breaker and I put a new horn relay in and with ignition off relay is hot there is power on middle wire but hot to touch any suggestions

Disconnect the wire that is not hot on the circuit breaker and see if you then have power after the wire is removed. sounds like something is shorted after the circuit breaker.

Don't get how the ignition relay is hot without power from the circuit breaker..tell us what letter as in the Wilcox diagram you are talking about.

Richard

Last edited by Richard454; 04-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Doeman

Default Power windows

Its number 76 on your schematic power window circuit breaker 30 amp removed it and checked both connections only power to one and like i said with no ignition on the horn relay gets hot no power on pink wire either coming out of fuse box or on switches used a jumper wire from battery to switches windows go down fast but donít want to go up
Old 04-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Received 831 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Doeman View Post
Its number 76 on your schematic power window circuit breaker 30 amp removed it and checked both connections only power to one and like i said with no ignition on the horn relay gets hot no power on pink wire either coming out of fuse box or on switches used a jumper wire from battery to switches windows go down fast but donít want to go up
Sounds like a couple things-

The horn relay warm- usually when there is an issue with the horn. Often the relay is stuck on -thanks to a bad or shorted horn button- the heat is coming from the coil being energized. Just a guess your horn probably doesn't work.

Putting direct power on the switches and no up- could mean bad switches - bad motors - bad wires into the door.

PLEASE use a fuse in-line when you are doing this...you can either torch wires- parts or the whole car.,

You need to follow along the diagram and trace back to the source- otherwise throwing un-fused power to things is going to do damage.

Richard
Old 04-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Doeman

Does anyone know how this comes apart to put in hole in drivers window goes in rear hole for guide cant seem to separate unless goes in another way help
Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
Disconnect the wire that is not hot on the circuit breaker and see if you then have power after the wire is removed. sounds like something is shorted after the circuit breaker.

Don't get how the ignition relay is hot without power from the circuit breaker..tell us what letter as in the Wilcox diagram you are talking about.

Richard
Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 AM
rvzio
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 522 Likes on 457 Posts

That does not get separated.
RVZIO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windows

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: