C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 08:52 AM
CorvetteRestoration
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Fuel Gauge

I am having some issues with a fuel gauge and I am at a dead end. Initial diagnoses was a bad sending unit, heavily corroded and no ground. Got a new one from Corvette America. Out of the box the new sending unit bench tested at 4 ohms empty and 96 ohms at full. I hooked only the wires to it so I could manipulate the float. the gauge would read empty but would stop at 1/2 tank. Following Willcox's troubleshooting guide I removed the signal wire from the sending unit and it stopped at 1/2 tank. Then grounded the signal wire and it read empty on the gauge. So I moved to the pigtail connector in the driver side kick panel area. Was still getting an ohm reading so moved to the gauge. Tested the resistor strip on the back out of the car. It read at 89.4 ohms. I replaced the gauge with a new one from Corvette America.Starting over essentially. With the new sending unit hooked up gauge will read empty and roughly 4 O'clock position in full. Removing the signal wire from the sending it pegs to the 3-4 o'clock and grounded out moves to empty. Now when the sending unit is hooked up it reads empty but when I manipulate it to anywhere more than a 1/4 tank it pegs to 4 o'clock. I retested the sending unit unhooked and it sill reads 4 ohms empty and 96 full, however, when it is hooked to the car I am getting a 30 ohm reading on my multimeter at empty (gauge reads empty) at full for some reason getting like 140ish ohms. i have even ran a new test wire from the sending unit straight to the gauge and a new ground to be on the safe side with same results. I have retested the sending unit several times off the car and still get 4 ohms empty and 96 full, but when hooked to the car the gauge reads empty and anything more than a 1/4 of a tank pegs to 4 o'clock.Any thoughts? Would be greatly appreciated!Did some more testing. I have another 69 Vette in the shop that I hooked the wires to this new sending unit. Gauge responds as it should. Full stops at full etc...So the issue appears to be wiring in the car.... The Pink wire going to the back of the gauge is getting 12v with key on. Housing is grounded. According to the Willcox walkthrough of testing this new gauge I put in responds as it should.... it just doesnt when the sending unit is attached?

Last edited by CorvetteRestoration; 04-19-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Updates
Old 04-19-2019, 02:29 PM
CorvetteRestoration
8th Gear

Update** Upon further testing and speaking with a vendor. The new AC Delco gauges apparently do not require the use of the OE resistor on the back of the gauge. Removed the resistor and retested the gauge. All is working as it should with correct ohm readings.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:42 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Isn't it 'nice' how those "new" products have ZERO information sent with them.... One would think they would include such a note with that $80 gauge.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:20 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Isn't it 'nice' how those "new" products have ZERO information sent with them.... One would think they would include such a note with that $80 gauge.
Charley,

They all come with instructions.... they are just so tiny that they are hard to read. I posted an enlarged copy on my tech site which makes... for me easier reading. But in the bottom of each gauge is this tiny folded up piece of paper and it's very common for customers to not ready it (and I can see why) before installing.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:23 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by CorvetteRestoration
Update** Upon further testing and speaking with a vendor. The new AC Delco gauges apparently do not require the use of the OE resistor on the back of the gauge. Removed the resistor and retested the gauge. All is working as it should with correct ohm readings.
They are not new AC Delco gauges... unfortunately they are imported in an AC Delco box. All the imported gauges don't use the resistor because the resistance is built into the gauges. This is why you can't use our adjustable temperature resistor on an imported reproduction dash unit.

Willcox
Old 04-22-2019, 08:12 AM
CorvetteRestoration
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
They are not new AC Delco gauges... unfortunately they are imported in an AC Delco box. All the imported gauges don't use the resistor because the resistance is built into the gauges. This is why you can't use our adjustable temperature resistor on an imported reproduction dash unit.

Willcox
I guess I should of put that... lol. I have been doing this for a couple years now and I still run across random things I haven't come across yet. Learn something new everyday.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Fuel Gauge

Quick Reply: 72 Fuel Gauge