Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Fuel Problems

Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Gordon Mason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problems

68 327 Corvette - I have had my 68 for just over a year. Really like the car but I have been having issues with fuel supply. It runs great until it gets nice and warm. If i stop shut the engine off for 15 or 20 minutes I can't get it to start again until it cools off. Sounds like some sort of an airlock, and I just have very basic mechanical skills but really enjoy working on the car and keeping it running well.

Suggestions, Gord
Old 04-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 914 Likes on 837 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Heat soak. Is the factory shielding on the starter?
Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 661 Likes on 611 Posts

What do you mean start? Cranks good but doesn't fire, or barely cranks cuz starter too hot?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:29 PM
itsforfun
CF Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a "vapor lock". That is- the gas in the carb bowl and the fuel lines vaporize and the pump cannot force liquid fuel to the carb. Lots of solutions. Just search the forum.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Gordon Mason

I don't think it's a starting problem as the starting turns over fine, I think it's a vapor lock in the carburetor as suggested by the member below. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Gordon Mason

Thanks for your input, I think you are right. Do you have any suggestions onsearching the forum, I just joined the website today and have already gotten lot's of great info.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
'75
CF Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 331 Posts

Contact Lars at [email protected], explain that you are having vapor lock issues and request his fuel line papers. He will send instructions on the cure.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:52 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Gordon...Easy Mike touched on this....but I'll expound a bit.

There are two things that contribute to VAPORLOCK.
1 Excessive heat creeping into the fuel lines on shutdown...which causes the gas to vaporize in the line....you cannot 'pump' air/ vapor and at 7-9 psi that your normal fuel pump makes...just can't re-compress it.
2. Weakening fuel pump.

So wrap your lines with a high tech TWO heat-soak repeller...such as Reflective Mylar (radiant heat). Fiberglass insulator (conductive heat).

Check the fuel pump output and possibly upgrade to a hi output pump.

Good Luck

Unkahal
who lives in planet Crematoria!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM
Peterbuilt
CF Senior Member

Received 469 Likes on 427 Posts
Default Hi and welcome!

Originally Posted by Gordon Mason View Post
Thanks for your input, I think you are right. Do you have any suggestions on searching the forum, I just joined the website today and have already gotten lots of great info.
Could it just be flooded?
Have you tried to press down and hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 PM
ScottF

Seems like a heat soak issue compounded by manifold heating. My 68 SB responds similarly- it will start warm, but runs like **** for several minutes. The problem may be the heat riser circuit. It heats the manifold, which in turn heats the carb and boils the fuel out. In my case driving the car easy after starting warm apparently cools the mani enough to let the float bowl fill normally. I suggest you defeat the heat riser circuit with a doughnut and a blocked gasket set. I am certainly going this route once I figure out what kind of manifold I want, since I live in a warm climate.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Greg
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 448 Likes on 306 Posts

Are you in an ethanol state?
Here in CA we are having lots of problems with the ethanol fuel on carburated cars. Most complaints sound exactly like yours.
Download the app "puregas" and check your area for ethanol free fuel.
Greg
Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 PM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 823 Likes on 730 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I had the same problem in my 68. I had an Edelbrock carb that was very susceptible to fuel boiling. I added a 1/2" phenolic spacer and that helped alot. I finally settled on a 1" spacer to make sure. I have an L88 hood so space wasnt an issue. You may need a drop base air cleaner if you have to add the wood spacer. I went back to a quadrajet and kept the spacers

If you have a quadrajet, GM produced a 1/4" gasket that was a heat shield of sorts to keep this from happening

Also make sure your fuel line isnt sitting on the engine at all, The heat will transfer to the fuel line. Thats more heat and problems

If you have a heat crossover in your manifold, next time its off the motor make sure you use a manifold gasket that blocks it off.

Make sure your timing is optimized for your setup. It should be around advanced 12 to 14 degrees at idle and 36 or so at 2500/3000 rpm. The motor will run better and a tiny bit cooler.

I also keep a can of starter fluid for really hot days. If I'm at a car show with the hood up and its in the direct sun, the fuel will boil off just because its ethanol

you can barley see the brown spacer in this pic. Its the only one I have of the spacer up close
Old 04-24-2019, 02:33 PM
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,133 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

x2 on our lousy gas. Sure in the 70s, middle of summer you could get vapor lock but not like today.
I used a phenolic spacer, its not enough .Gonna try a heat shield, hope for the best. Once its turned off all bets are off.
Even running, notice around 200 idle quality isnt quiiite the way it is under say 190. Not rich/lean either.

Dont think a cool can would help much either unless it was running. The dist and coil can get awful warm, too.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 823 Likes on 730 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
x2 on our lousy gas. Sure in the 70s, middle of summer you could get vapor lock but not like today.
I used a phenolic spacer, its not enough .Gonna try a heat shield, hope for the best. Once its turned off all bets are off.
Even running, notice around 200 idle quality isnt quiiite the way it is under say 190. Not rich/lean either.

Dont think a cool can would help much either unless it was running. The dist and coil can get awful warm, too.
Speaking of cool cans I'm giving this a shot to see how it works. It should cool the incoming fuel charge since it runs next to the side pipe, and since it will be cooler I'm hoping it doesnt evaporate as quickly.

Summit Racing Heat sink fluid cooler. THey say it rated for transmission cooling and good for fuel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Problems

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: