C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 bbc

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:45 PM
ocap
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 bbc

I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1979 c3. I purchased a 454 BBC for a great deal. Doing a rebuild on that as well. I do plan on getting a new hood for clearance. Does anyone know if i will have fitment issues? Any advice for suspension and diff?

Thank you in advanced for the response.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:34 PM
godrocksus1@gmail.co
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I call mine the 1/2 inch car. I have at least 4 spots that clear by about 1/2 an inch. Thank God for poly motor mounts.

The following users liked this post:
qwank (05-04-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Love the belt set up Gilmer? The idler/tensioner is a slick idea
OP what kind of intake do you wanna use? Incorporating a spacer? How tall a filter do you think youll need, dont want to compromise on that for the sake of "fitting".

Last edited by cv67; 05-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:32 PM
ocap
Navigator

Thanks for the response guys! Great set up godrocksus1.that sure is nice and snug. How much hp do you have in that bad *** machine. I’m ready to spend the money haha. I already ordered the poly mounts. Did mounts need to be moved or original spots are good? I see you have AC in there. Where did you get the belt system or did the engine come with? Any other advice do you have for me. Sorry for all the questions man.
Im putting in coil overs, rebuilding the rear end, and disc brakes all the way around.
I do plan on getting a cowl hood for hood clearance And a slimmer filter.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:40 PM
godrocksus1@gmail.co
Heel & Toe

The front end assembly system came from a company called Black Mountain precision it was pretty expensive I'm not sure I'd do it again because it's really really tight but it works I had to shim the passenger side motor mount with a couple of nuts you noticed my engine is clocked clockwise just a tiny bit I was also able to use the truck 454 pan but I had to fabricate a new power steering mount on the frame rail to drop it down a little bit to clear the other interesting thing is I've got roller rockers most Corvette guys say you can't run roller rockers because you can't put the tall valve covers cuz they won't clear the power booster on the brakes Fram makes a double gasket system that allowed me to use stock valve covers that gave me just enough clearance on both sides I'm running 373 gears in the back and it has been rebuilt new Moog U-joints everywhere I'm hoping I don't ever blow up that rear end I haven't dyno'd the motor but it's a full roller motor bored to 468 we are estimating right around 500 hp
The following users liked this post:
ocap (05-07-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 07:47 PM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

as a starting point, I'd recommend you duplicate the GM factory BBC C3 install. it's based on the short water pump. they goal is to have the crank pulley nestled into that cross member clearance recess. if you do that, then everything else just literally falls into place.

if you're not running power steering or AC, then it is super simple, early Chevy BBC C10 trucks used the same alternator brackets. if you're running PS, then the factory repop brackets will cost about $250-$300, although you can catch some deals on used C3 wrecking yard C3 bracket ensembles every now and then on ebay. the PS pump has a keyway shaft, and I think the C3 BBC cast iron pulley is unique and the only one that works for the factory setup. I tried some GM stamped steel keyway pulleys and the spacing was significantly off. at least repop's of that pulley are readily available.

Last edited by rpoL98; 05-04-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:54 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

what are people using for a/c brackets with the R4 compressors?bb
Old 05-06-2019, 05:33 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Originally Posted by qwank
what are people using for a/c brackets with the R4 compressors?bb
Alan Grove makes non-bling steel brackets for the Sanden compressor. yeah, I know, not what you asked for, sorry.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/B...Short_Pump.htm
Old 05-06-2019, 09:46 AM
godrocksus1@gmail.co
Heel & Toe

RPOl98... What is the screen for under the radiator? Are you trying to keep cats out?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM
ocap
Navigator

Originally Posted by godrocksus1@gmail.co
The front end assembly system came from a company called Black Mountain precision it was pretty expensive I'm not sure I'd do it again because it's really really tight but it works I had to shim the passenger side motor mount with a couple of nuts you noticed my engine is clocked clockwise just a tiny bit I was also able to use the truck 454 pan but I had to fabricate a new power steering mount on the frame rail to drop it down a little bit to clear the other interesting thing is I've got roller rockers most Corvette guys say you can't run roller rockers because you can't put the tall valve covers cuz they won't clear the power booster on the brakes Fram makes a double gasket system that allowed me to use stock valve covers that gave me just enough clearance on both sides I'm running 373 gears in the back and it has been rebuilt new Moog U-joints everywhere I'm hoping I don't ever blow up that rear end I haven't dyno'd the motor but it's a full roller motor bored to 468 we are estimating right around 500 hp

Awesome!. Thanks for all the info. I will definitely be keeping you guys updated.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 PM
ocap
Navigator

Originally Posted by rpoL98
as a starting point, I'd recommend you duplicate the GM factory BBC C3 install. it's based on the short water pump. they goal is to have the crank pulley nestled into that cross member clearance recess. if you do that, then everything else just literally falls into place.

if you're not running power steering or AC, then it is super simple, early Chevy BBC C10 trucks used the same alternator brackets. if you're running PS, then the factory repop brackets will cost about $250-$300, although you can catch some deals on used C3 wrecking yard C3 bracket ensembles every now and then on ebay. the PS pump has a keyway shaft, and I think the C3 BBC cast iron pulley is unique and the only one that works for the factory setup. I tried some GM stamped steel keyway pulleys and the spacing was significantly off. at least repop's of that pulley are readily available.

Thanks for the info man! I am running AC and PS.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Originally Posted by godrocksus1@gmail.co
RPOl98... What is the screen for under the radiator? Are you trying to keep cats out?
actually, that is exactly correct. I had neighborhood cats crawl up in my engine compartment to take naps on top of the motor, probably valve covers, intake manifold. all kinds of cat hair everywhere. you're exactly right.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:26 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I had a guy start his old truck up for me one morning and his wife's sleeping cat got caught up in the belts and fan.
Ugly sound and even uglier mess.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM
godrocksus1@gmail.co
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I had a guy start his old truck up for me one morning and his wife's sleeping cat got caught up in the belts and fan.
Ugly sound and even uglier mess.
Uuughh that is terrible on so many levels.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 bbc

Quick Reply: 1979 bbc