C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW INFO ON "Engine dies when I turn right..."

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:31 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

By chance do you have fuel injection on it?? IF so, check your fuel level in the tank, when I put the DPFI on my L48 engine, 24 years ago, I noted the same thing when turning right, because the fuel slosh in the tank took it away from the fuel pickup point in the tank....so engine would stumble/die......

took it a while longer, lower tank level before same **** noted on a left turn......
Old 05-04-2019, 09:48 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Your car obviously wants to be a NASCAR racecar and is pitching a hissy fit when you tell it "No". Try time-out until the behavior changes. If it doesn't change, more punitive discipline may be required.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 AM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

Definitely odd. I’m at an immediate loss as to what it could be. I would check all your fuel lines front to back and make sure they aren’t within an inch or closer with the body. I’m wondering if something is pinching when you turn the wheels and the chassis is flexing. Which is why it wouldn’t do it with the car in the air but on the ground it does.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

OP, can you put up a single new post with all of the symptoms, and the method of "dying" you have witnessed? I recall that this would happen even when stopped, so it seems not to be a fuel tank or carb issue, but I could be wrong about that assumption.

Perhaps post a video? There are big differences between sudden electrical failure causing ignition shutoff, fuel issues, or a load on the engine causing it to slow and stop.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:11 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

I’ve thought about this alittle but more and here is how I would go about tackling this. I would hookup a remote fuel pressure gauge and watch your fuel pressure when you try to kill it. If your fuel pressure drops it’s obviously a restriction someplace caused by a pinch someplace. I would also hook a multimeter to the coil hot and have a passenger watch the voltage when attempting to cause the issue and if the voltage drops below 12 VDC or so I would bypass the coil power feed and try that. Something has to be getting pinched. Whether it’s fuel or power is what you have to figure out.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by kossuth
I’ve thought about this alittle but more and here is how I would go about tackling this. I would hookup a remote fuel pressure gauge and watch your fuel pressure when you try to kill it. If your fuel pressure drops it’s obviously a restriction someplace caused by a pinch someplace. I would also hook a multimeter to the coil hot and have a passenger watch the voltage when attempting to cause the issue and if the voltage drops below 12 VDC or so I would bypass the coil power feed and try that. Something has to be getting pinched. Whether it’s fuel or power is what you have to figure out.
THANKS will do!

Quick Reply: NEW INFO ON "Engine dies when I turn right..."